Some high level help with Mailers (what NOT to do)

11 Replies

Hi there BP folks.

I am sending out my first mailer and wanted to get some advice from whoever is so willing.  I am looking for some high level things NOT TO DO as I start sending out my mailers.  

have a typo in the phone number. That was a waste of 800 post cards plus some angry dude in Texas. 

But really, it’s not so much what you put in the letter or post card but everything after you get the call. Do you sound profession on the phone? Do you actually answer the phone or call back in a timely fashion? Do you show up to appointments on time? So many factors that control the outcome over the piece of mail. Keep it simple and use what’s already provided by the big mail companies. Do you mail consistently? Write the letter on toilet paper but mail it monthly and the ones who need you will call. 

Thank you! 

Originally posted by @Adrien S. :

have a typo in the phone number. That was a waste of 800 post cards plus some angry dude in Texas. 

But really, it’s not so much what you put in the letter or post card but everything after you get the call. Do you sound profession on the phone? Do you actually answer the phone or call back in a timely fashion? Do you show up to appointments on time? So many factors that control the outcome over the piece of mail. Keep it simple and use what’s already provided by the big mail companies. Do you mail consistently? Write the letter on toilet paper but mail it monthly and the ones who need you will call. 

@Damien Dupee & @Rapy Narruhn ,  Thanks for commenting!   I am sending out 25 letters a week and officially started this week.  I am looking forward to the response.  Over the long-term I am hoping for about a 3-5% response rate.  That might me a little high but I will be tracking the data closely.

Great job! Can't wait to hear about you closing on your first deal! 

Don't be too informative. I have done mailers for a few years and the more informative I am the lower response I get.

@Steve Milford ,

Thanks for the tip.  I am thinking I may tweak the letter to focus more on our core mission, but still in the testing phase.  I am getting a 2-3% call back rate but no business yet.

To me direct mail really is a game of cultivation of the leads. And phone calls from it are really just an avenue for an appt.

Perversely, my ROI is much, much, much better with referrals. Take your friends and others you meet to coffee, share with them what you are doing, ask for referrals, and then keep doing it. With direct mail, my cost is currently about 9 cents per piece not including postage... And that postage makes it all NOT worth it. $5 at Starbucks with someone you know, or recently met, goes a lot further than 10-15 pieces of unsolicited mail.

Hi @Steve Milford , I agree with your approach and it is a method I also use and prefer.  I am currently working as many angles as possible to meet people and direct mail is on my list of one of those methods to try in addition to all of my in person methods.

Originally posted by @Uwe G. :

Hi there BP folks.

I am sending out my first mailer and wanted to get some advice from whoever is so willing.  I am looking for some high level things NOT TO DO as I start sending out my mailers.  

• Get frustrated at the the level of disrespectful dialog coming in from the addressee
  • Take people off of your mailing list (Unless you buy their house, then just switch them to a past customer list)
  • Not follow-up with the prospect after they call.  15-30-60 and 90 day follow-up is crucial.
  • Not be prepared to call the prospect back. Even the grumpy ones.. Within 10 minutes of their call to you.
  • Do not change your list until you've proven it is wrong
  • Do not expect someone else to dedicate the attention you would to your expense and exposure.
  • Quit!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.