Direct Mailing in my own neighborhood

3 Replies

We are starting a small direct mail campaign in our neighborhood, within 5 miles from our primary residence. We have already targeted about 60 single family homes and plan to send out handwritten letters within the next week or two. Looking for suggestions on the pros and cons of handwriting vs. typing and also whether or not we should put our actual cell phones numbers on the letters or use an out of state number created through google voice (no more local numbers left). We are also hesitant to put our full return address on the envelops. Lastly, debating on whether to put a real photo of our family on the letters vs. clipart. Since its our neighborhood and a smaller number of properties, we want our letters to stand out and be personal, yet also want to protect our family's privacy - we have two small children.

Any tips are appreciated!

@Ashley Russell Get a UPS mailbox and use that as the return address.  The address will be like 123 Main St #362, Anytown, ST, 12345.  Use a local number.  If none available from google, maybe get another cell phone.  Handwriting is slow, but it is a start.  60 addresses is a tiny list, but again, a start.  Three calls would be a fantastic response.

@Ashley Russell

Hello Ashley,

I would second @Larry T. in regards to getting a UPS mailbox. In regards to the letters I would hand write them just seem more personal. I would stick to the clip art there are some weird folks these days. Last but not least you want a local number try sideline, flyp, google voice apps. 

Mail box.

Expect about ~0.1% return. 6 times min then move on to another neighborhood.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.