Social Media Presence VS. Website Presence.

19 Replies

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out the best way to edge into online marketing. I have an understanding of how to go about with aome of these campaigns which generally include combining social media and a website but which should I do first? I am extremely busy with regular work and school right now so I will only be able to start on one very slowly.

Do you suggest making a social media page or a website page first?

@Cody Evans   I would suggest building a website and blog first.  You will own and control this content forever. 

Social media product rules and engagement can change frequently leaving you at the mercy of the tech.

If you are wholesaling it is imperative you have a strategy behind your online presence. Is it for seller lead capture? Credibility? Buyer marketing?

@Cody Evans Ensure you think through your wholesaling goals and have your online presence strategically built to support these.

This would be for my real estate agent career. I will have my license by summer

@Cody Evans   As an agent you will need to begin building your identity as a trusted advisor in home sales and purchases.  I would begin with a Facebook page.

With social media, or any other type of marketing you need to understand VRIN scores:

V stands for value.

R stands for rarity or how rare it is.

I stands for inimitable and

N stands for non-substitutable.

Value means you are giving your followers what they are interested in. Your posts need to be reaching your audience's values. I know my audience values growing their wealth safely, so I create content that shows how we do that. People value the payoff of real estate and investing, so I post my numbers, analysis and all the great tips that my businesses have profited from.

Rarity is how many other accounts are out there posting similar content. The more content that you provide that not many people get to see, the more excited people will be when they see it. It’s common sense. Rarity is the amount of emotion that people get when they see your post.

Inimitable means your post is hard to recreate. It means that not only is it rare, it’s unique and genuine. People can tell when what you’re posting is trying to be like someone else. You have to be unique, so others can’t reproduce what you’ve created.

Non-substitutable is similar to rarity, but it also means that what your posting is relatively impossible to be replaced by something new. You need to create timeless content, so as time goes on, your post is still relevant.

If you master these, your business will grow and you will create a loyal audience, because you understand why your audience follows you and engages with you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

@Cody Evans - sounds like you're spinning a lot of plates. A simple one page (wordpress type) website would be great to have initially. Shouldn't take you a couple of hours to setup and then you can focus on social. I'm partial to instagram and wordpress has built-in widgets that allow you to easily incorporate your instagram feed into your page. 

@Cody Evans

Get that website up and running would be definitely a first. you're going to want to be able to send people to your website where they will be able to gain more information about you, check credibility, etc.... 

Your website is your foundation its where you will likely be collecting leads, its where people are going to go when they searching for that realtor their friend told them about, etc...

Can get started fairly simple by starting with a WordPress website. I would suggest just watching a quick tutorial on youtube on how to build one your self since its pretty basic and straightforward. Obviously, it is not going to be the greatest look nor functional but, its the start.

Shouldn't take you more than a day or two. However, you stated you don't have that much time so you might find yourself having to take longer, which is totally okay. 

Now for the marketing part!

They approach I really like is essentially becoming the "Digital Mayor of your Town and or City" as termed by Gary Vee.

Now if you are not familiar with what that means I give you the run down 

What really traditional marketing would be is, *forgive me if I exaggerate a bit*,  just plastering yourself in everyone's mind as, that's Joe the real estate agent, he seems to be everywhere I go. 

So putting up signs everywhere, joining every damn neighborhood club under the sun, handing out business cards to everyone you meet, mentioning to everyone that Hey, look at me I'm a real estate agent comes off a little too strong and salesy. 

Honestly most probably would feel the same way, and maybe you don't want to conduct your business in that manner, not saying it doesn't work cause it most certainly does, but there's a better less selfish way to 10x your career. 

Instead of it being me me me look at me the real estate agent, it should be more about the end client in mind. you should be thinking about how much you actually want to service that client before you even have him as a lead. 

So being the digital mayor takes the approach of instated of it being Hi I'm Cody, the real estate agent... it should be Hi I'm Cody, I run a media company, and I'm a real estate agent. 

Let your business be the one and not local media outlets to be the provider of content of the best local restaurants, the best local schools, the 10 best things to see and do this weekend all, etc... in all the area you service.

See by approaching it this way You are now becoming the source for people that want to move to those locations and or maybe want to sell their house but stay in the local area. 

People that want to make the big move are actively looking for that information. 

Now as you may realize, who the hell is doing this or tried this?!?!?!?

Not many from what I can see, so what does that mean for you?... It's open season baby!

It's a huge white space that nobody is taking advantage of and it makes sense 

produce content that people want to see, now you will start getting recognized as Cody the real estate agent that helped me make the decision to move here and why would they go to anybody else to help them find a home if then the person that help them make that decision.

Conclusion 

To sum it up, you will be a media company/ real estate agent. you are going to be the content producer of information that buyers and sellers want

like writing reviews of the best restaurants, interviews principles on why their school is the best, going to every destination there is to go to and provide walkthrough videos, etc...

If you approach it like this then your now the source that people who are looking to buy in your area and sell are now going to go to. 

Obviously this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but definitely look into it 

All awesome responses...

I am a big fan of websites.. HOWEVER!!!

Social media IS a website.

It is all about conversion.

Now you all need to think a little. WHY is a website better than social media?

Well.. to be found right? once found, you need to have a credibility score to get conversions.

So THINK my little poopykins. Guess what is a great credibility score provider? Social media. WHAT IFFFF you skipped the website and have people land directly on your social media? As long as people feel like you can help them solve a problem no one cares where  the trust in you comes from website OR social media.

So if you think a bit.. all you need is credibility to convert a lead. Nothing more!

So is the correct answer to your question "a website"? No Absolutely not. If you set your foundation TO BE a website, and you are planning to use your website as the main means to be found, then sure a website is the way to go first.

BUT, if you manage to get a fantastic credibility score with your facebook page, twitter page, youtube channel, where you broadcast all your purchases, have a series of house flipping adventures all recorded, and the entire state raves about your facebook page with a ton of shares comments and reviews... do you think a desperate seller is going to pass you by because "I see no cheap wix site"? No

Here is the mistake EVERYONE makes when it comes to SEO. And I am not willing to share my SEO greatness yet in the open. But everyone is doing SEO wrong. yes everyone. Google says, yo freaks, get backlinks,  sprinkle keywords over your page.. and like sheep everyone does this. Everyone butt (see what I did there? ) me. I do the exact opposite. To all, google is at the top and everyone follows google's instruction. I placed myself above Google. I make sure I am always 2 steps ahead of google. Sorry, I can't explain what I mean by this as this is classified ;)

But the result is, Google rules do no longer exist. That is for everyone that chooses to blindly follow the google rules.

So if you understand this concept you will realize, there is no spoon!

I mean, there is no "answer" social media or website.

"See" what you want "leads", and "Get leads" using your head logic, without manipulating Google i.e. black head SEO

Believe me.. once you realize this concept you are Neo inside the Matrix.

Neo=me, Google= Matrix!

Imagine you buy a house in cash and you film the entire process, how you talked to the seller, how hard you worked filming the entire process with asking the contractors how much it will take to to repair the house. You film your agent getting you the ARV, and you film how you presented it all to the seller and made a KickBUTT fair offer. You post this to youtube and the entire state vouches for you, giving you amazing reviews. "OMG OMG OMG, he was so amazing, gave me an offer, helped me move, constantly asked me if I needed anything closing went without a hitch".

Then the next comment says:" OMG you too? Yeah Tony MonkeyBalls was amazing. He gave me the same treatment. I was so happy with him". And the next, and the next 50 reviews all the same.

You think that a motivated seller will not go out of their way to find your number and call you? What if your number is shown on the video?

BOOM

My little gringos. See now why understanding of SEO is the key to success, without following the "usual" rules?

See... my point?

;)

Monkey Power!

Originally posted by @Cody Evans :

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out the best way to edge into online marketing. I have an understanding of how to go about with aome of these campaigns which generally include combining social media and a website but which should I do first? I am extremely busy with regular work and school right now so I will only be able to start on one very slowly.

Websites are great but you need to bring traffic to them. To get traffic to them social media works the best. Go where the people are & bring them back to your website. It's always been my motto & I have to say it's worked rather well for my businesses over the years. As a matter of fact Bigger Pockets (the social media site you & I are currently on) happens to be one of the best social media sites in regards to driving traffic to your website.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633
Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Cody Evans:

Hi everyone,

Websites are great but you need to bring traffic to them. To get traffic to them social media works the best. Go where the people are & bring them back to your website. It's always been my motto & I have to say it's worked rather well for my businesses over the years. As a matter of fact Bigger Pockets (the social media site you & I are currently on) happens to be one of the best social media sites in regards to driving traffic to your website.

I beg to differ.

Social media actually often is the worst.

If you are on top of google Organic works the best. If you are not on top.. or even if you are, PPC works second best. third is social media, IF you pay for it.

This is a snapshot of my 1 week traffic behind the scenes of my website.

As you can see I don't just talk to talk without facts backing me up.

And you do not want "traffic"

That is an other reason why social media is very dangerous.

You want good traffic. 

A lot of my traffic comes from BP members because I have a big mouth here. They flock to my site and see what I do and how I do.  That could be OK, because they stay on my site click around browse pages and google rewards me for this.

But facebook or twitter.. is horrible because if you attract the wrong traffic, people bounce and google will think your site sucks monkeyballz, and guess who will go down in ranks.

That is why you want organic traffic from the right keywords.

Look at my average time on page.I heard that the average time on page for investors websites is about 45 seconds. Mine is 3 minutes... for that week. Why? How?

This is because I attract organic traffic.

Also my conversion rate is 22% for that week. A really good performing site has a conversion rate of 15% Average is about 10%.

Why? again.... organic traffic.People that actually WANT to sell their house go on my page. People that are just curious... and not serious, do not go on my page.

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Hi everyone,

I beg to differ.

If you are on top of google Organic works the best. If you are not on top.. or even if you are, PPC works second best. third is social media, IF you pay for it.

Interesting. I'd have thought the guy who was "smarter than google" would get a lot more than 71 visitors per week. Thanks for the tip though. If I am ever interested in making tens of dollars I will look into this.

216-661-6633
Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

Hi everyone,

I beg to differ.

Interesting. I'd have thought the guy who was "smarter than google" would get a lot more than 71 visitors per week. Thanks for the tip though. If I am ever interested in making tens of dollars I will look into this.

Ohh I actually get between 800 and 1000 visitors a month. That snapshot previously was during a horrible snowstorm.

;)

Such an angry little man you are. Tsk tsk.If I didn't know better I would almost dare to say you wish me ill. So mean!! Shame on you, angry broker you!

And it is not about how many visitors you get pumpkin. Its about how many LEADS you get.

I get between 25 and 30 a week. In the snapshot you can see for that week it was 26.

Dont hate me because I am good man. 

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

Hi everyone,

I beg to differ.

Ohh I actually get between 800 and 1000 visitors a month. That snapshot previously was during a horrible snowstorm.

;)

Boy I bet you feel really stupid now huh..

And it is not about how many visitors you get pumpkin. Its about how many LEADS you get.

I get between 25 and 30 a week. In the snapshot you can see for that week it was 26.

Dont hate me because I am good man. 

I am not smarter then google.

I do not hate you b/c you are good.

I do not feel stupid.

I do not wish to continue arguing with you about this.

I wish you luck in your en devours.

Just for fun I thought i'd share my monthly web traffic as well. 😉

216-661-6633

OMG, dude,.. it is not a competition. OK you are better than me. Your have a bigger stick. You are the man. 

Hope you feel better. OMG, how old are you? 

really.. I really do not care.. seriously. I just answered your post with my opinion.It was not an attack against you.

all I can say is WOW!!

Seriously I am shocked....

Man you can change your post still within 5 minutes. I seriously advise you to remove that last message. You are seriously embarrassing yourself. Dude...

(P.s... I told you it is not about traffic. It is about leads. Traffic doesnt make you money...)

but 7000 visitors a month is EXTREMELY impressive.  Seriously awesome . Way to go!!

OMG, dude,.. it is not a competition. OK you are better than me. Your have a bigger stick. You are the man. 

Hope you feel better. OMG, how old are you? 

really.. I really do not care.. seriously. I just answered your post with my opinion.It was not an attack against you.

all I can say is WOW!!

Seriously I am shocked....

Man you can change your post still within 5 minutes. I seriously advise you to remove that last message. You are seriously embarrassing yourself. Dude...

(P.s... I told you it is not about traffic. It is about leads. Traffic doesnt make you money...)

but 7000 visitors a month is EXTREMELY impressive.  Seriously awesome . Way to go!!

..........................................Have a good day Jerryll.

216-661-6633

Hey @Cody Evans ! I'd say website first. Social media presence is easy (relative to ranking a site) to build and cheap to advertise on, BUT motivated sellers aren't going to Facebook to find a solution to a problem that they have. They are "Googling" it. They are going to search engines and trying to find a solution to a problem that they have. A website requires SEO work if you're going to rank over time, and something like AdWords to perform short term results, but the leads that you'll get in are totally worth the time and effort. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.