What should I offer my investor???

2 Replies

I’m looking to purchase an 8 unit apartment building. Purchase price is $250K . I have talked to a friend of mine and he is willing to put up $50k for the down payment. My question is, what should I offer him in return for his down payment. He doesn’t want to be involved at all with the property. I’ll be handling everything (maintenance , new tenants ..etc) Anyone have a similar scenario? I have the cash for down payment myself, however I can put that to use elsewhere , so I’d like to take his investment. Thoughts??

You are looking at the problem backwards.  Ask him what he will accept.  You might want to compare this to leaving the money in the bank, or a CD, where he will be less than 1% interest.

If you give him a better return than any bank in America, backed by the security of real estate, purchased below its actual value, and backed by your personally, what is the least he would accept as a return? 

You have a friend offering money to invest. Think of this as a private money deal. Ask THEM what their terms are. What return do they want? You will want to give them a lien position in case the deal goes to pot. I have an acquaintance going in with me on a deal and she wants 10% and first lien position. But she has more experience than I do.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.