Personal note on the back of your business card

18 Replies

My business cards are pretty simple. They have my name, number, and email address on the front, and white blank space on the back. It suddenly occurred to me that people I hand them out to, might not always remember who the heck I am or why they have my business card (used to happen to me all the time before I started writing a quick note on the back).

I want to start prefilling the back of some of my cards, so as to help the receiver remember why they have my card. "Real estate investor in Valdosta, GA" is going to go on the back of ones I hand out to other Real Estate Professionals, but what about the homeowners I reach out to, interested in purchasing their HOMES (not houses, HOMES). What could I possibly put there, so as not to sound intimidating, or have their minds default to "this big bad Investor is only here to steal my home"?

I'd appreciate any all suggestions, even for the ones I hand out to other professionals.

Thank you!

Allan 

@Allan Rosso

I've been working on similar branding ideas on how to differentiate from other investors and establish trust with sellers.  Here's some ideas I've kicked around:

"If your home is no longer a fit, call us.  We care."

"Need help getting your home sold fast, but don't want to deal someone 'sketchy'? (insert a caricature of sleazy guy in a trenchcoat holding a poorly drawn 'We buy houses sign')  Call us we care.  Veteran-owned.  Family-run.  Here for you when you need us."

Give them a reason to hold onto it. My friend, who is a criminal lawyer, has something on the back of his card which says what to do during a traffic stop.  It says stuff like "Say this aloud 'I do not consent to a search of this vehicle. I refuse to answer any questions without an attorney present".  His clients keep it in the car right next to the insurance and registration.  

I don't know what the equivalent is for real estate ("I pay cash for referrals" or "call for free estimate on how much your house is worth"), but give them a reason to hold onto your card.  

If they don’t remember you, a blank backside isn’t the reason. A catch phrase may help, but a more genuine connection will help a heck of a lot more.

I go the opposite.. I just have my name nothing else.. no number no email..

people tend to stare at it a long time then google me..  since I am readily available on google.

@Jay Hinrichs Wow.... That will be one of my new goal... :)

The front is basically that I am a private home and plex buyer. Not a realtor or agent.

The back says one of 2 things, either: Know someone else wanting to sell their home? $400 referral fee to you at closing!

Or, if giving to an agent: Expired listing? Low/no equity? Too many repairs? Commissions paid!  Give them a referral source for the ones they can't/don't list.  

My 3rd type is for tenants. My mgt co and 'You are our #1 asset!'.  They get it with their move-in folder in the little biz card slot.

Originally posted by @Say Teoh :

@Jay Hinrichs Wow.... That will be one of my new goal... :)

IN all honesty when people ask me if I have a card I just say no I don't  LOL

but I am not looking to buy anything or rent anything etc..  

@Neil Sinha I like that idea of the caricature haha. I'll remember that if I ever go to redesign my business card. I also like the "we care" touch at the end of the first one. That's what I want to convey, that I'm not here to take advantage of them.

@Peter Sanchez I see what you're saying, and that's pretty smart that your lawyer friend does that. I'll have to brainstorm some ideas along those lines. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

@Kris F. yes I definitely agree a more genuine connection is the goal. It just doesn't always happen first time and/or right away.

@Steve Vaughan   I didn't even think of handing them out to tenants. The one for the agents is an awesome idea! Definitely breaks down some of the problems they may be facing with their listings, and it falls along the same idea of Peter Sanchez's lawyer friend's card. They'll keep that thing close for instances where they run into those problems.

@Jay Hinrichs unfortunately not much will come up just yet if someone we're to google my name (I just tried it). Do you have any tips or stories about things you did on your way to getting yourself that kind of exposure on google? Back when you were up and coming.

Originally posted by @Allan Rosso :

@Neil Sinha I like that idea of the caricature haha. I'll remember that if I ever go to redesign my business card. I also like the "we care" touch at the end of the first one. That's what I want to convey, that I'm not here to take advantage of them.

@Peter Sanchez I see what you're saying, and that's pretty smart that your lawyer friend does that. I'll have to brainstorm some ideas along those lines. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

@Kris F. yes I definitely agree a more genuine connection is the goal. It just doesn't always happen first time and/or right away.

@Steve Vaughan   I didn't even think of handing them out to tenants. The one for the agents is an awesome idea! Definitely breaks down some of the problems they may be facing with their listings, and it falls along the same idea of Peter Sanchez's lawyer friend's card. They'll keep that thing close for instances where they run into those problems.

@Jay Hinrichs unfortunately not much will come up just yet if someone we're to google my name (I just tried it). Do you have any tips or stories about things you did on your way to getting yourself that kind of exposure on google? Back when you were up and coming.

well with google when your good some things will show up when you have been bad things show up..

All above are GOOD ideas! 

Tell ya what I've been doing for years:  I have my business card with office name, license info (I am a broker) and office phone.  After speaking with a seller, when THEY ask for my card, as I'm handing them my card, I say, "hang on a second." I take back the card, turn it over, write my cell number, and "I'll buy, all cash, quick closing."

Then I'll hand it to them saying, "I don't give out my personal cell number to just anyone, only to people I think are serious. I think you are, am I right?"  Smile, nod, be silent and wait.

They might not sell, but they don't often forget.

Best.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

I go the opposite.. I just have my name nothing else.. no number no email..

people tend to stare at it a long time then google me..  since I am readily available on google.

I share my name with a bunch of other people, alas, two of which are also in the mortgage industry, and one of which is also in the Bay Area but not in RE/finance. :\

@Allan Rosso I struggle with the idea of using business cards, I rarely use them because I typically end up of throwing other people's card in the trash. 

However, to answer your question, putting a quote may also put you in a box. So you want to be very strategic, so using something broad like "I buy real estate in Georgia" [I know its cheesy but people like simple]. 

When I use to tell people I'm in real estate they look at me with that "I have no idea what that means but OK thanks" eye. So now I say "I buy real estate with other investors and share in the profits". Quick and punchy no ambiguity. 

As a business person I could not function without a pile of other peoples business cards. I file them and never see the backs. Most given to home owners go straight in the garbage so those that keep them probably do so with some intent, what may be on the back is probably irrelevant.

No harm in adding something though. As a home owner 99% probably go straight in th egarbage. 

"Professional, worry free home sales" 

I just took a random stack of 39 business cards from my desk. 

10 were blank on the back

5 had hand written notes from either me or the person who gave it to me

19 had large company logos or a list of services the company offers

2 had offers of referral bonus, similar to the great suggestion from @Steve Vaughan

3 had lines to track details on your appointment - one property property manager had lines for property address, size of unit, rent amount, deposit, app fee, likes and dislikes

Honestly, I don't recall every looking at the back of most of these cards. So although there was something on the back, it made no impression on me. It is blank space, so it makes sense to utilize it, but I would draw someones attention to what is there so they look at it.

@Marc Winter that's an awesome piece of advice! Unfortunately the phone number I've got listed on it IS my cellphone number. So I'll have to tweak your advice a bit, and find a creative way to do what you suggested.

@Ola Dantis  it's just a quick easy way of giving out my information. I feel the whole typing my phone number down into their cellphone is more likely to get forgotten in the sea of contacts. I definitely don't throw away other people's cards, you never know when you may need them. It's just good to remember WHY you have that card, hence adding that note on the back. 

@Thomas S. I know what you mean, I do the same thing as far as filing them. However, if there's a simple business card like mine, I'll make sure to add the note. So even though I won't see it when it's filed, I know the note is there, and can easily take out the card to look at the back if needed. For home owners, I'm thinking something as simple as "I would love to buy your home" or "I'm interested in buying your home" will remind them of the conversation we had when I actually gave them the card?

@Joe Splitrock I guess at this point there's nothing I can do in the front to draw their attention to the back. I'll have to do something along the lines of what Mr. Winter suggested, and making it super obvious that I'm adding that note to the back, or that it's there if I've previously added one. Thank you for taking the time to look through all those cards for me.  

Originally posted by @Allan Rosso :

@Steve Vaughan  I didn't even think of handing them out to tenants. The one for the agents is an awesome idea! Definitely breaks down some of the problems they may be facing with their listings

Yes, cards for tenants lends some credibility to you and gives you a higher authority or bad guy you report to if you want. Just today I had to ask for $800 holding funds to a newly approved applicant.   If it was just my homeless looking painter plumber self... they'd probably think it was a scam.  I just say to make it payable to the mgt co here (hand them a card) and we'll/they'll hold it for you exclusively until x date.  Never had a problem that way and I still get to just be the handyman.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Allan Rosso:

@Steve Vaughan  I didn't even think of handing them out to tenants. The one for the agents is an awesome idea! Definitely breaks down some of the problems they may be facing with their listings

Yes, cards for tenants lends some credibility to you and gives you a higher authority or bad guy you report to if you want. Just today I had to ask for $800 holding funds to a newly approved applicant.   If it was just my homeless looking painter plumber self... they'd probably think it was a scam.  I just say to make it payable to the mgt co here (hand them a card) and we'll/they'll hold it for you exclusively until x date.  Never had a problem that way and I still get to just be the handyman.

when your doing your homeless bit you do have all your teeth though right ???  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
Originally posted by @Allan Rosso:

when your doing your homeless bit you do have all your teeth though right ???  

Well, most of 'em :)  The important thing is I can still say 'sorry, that's above my pay grade' without a lisp or whistling!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here