Fined for bandit signs?

15 Replies

I put up tons of signs last night, just right now I got a call. It was a guy who works for the city (which they are closed today since its Saturday). He gave a warning, and said that its a violation if they are not taken down. Can they fine me on Monday if I leave them out, and pick them up tomorrow (Sunday)?

If they’re illegal where you live, then yes...you should take them down or expect to be fined, steeply in some locations. There’s a reason they are illegal in so many places, most people think they look pretty bad when plastered all over the place.

several towns in my area will hit you with $1000 fine per sign. And they don’t give you warnings like this guy did. 

Are you posting the signs on your own property or littering someone else's?  

Victor,

Where you have the signs will determine what kind of trouble you may get into. There is a better way, lets connect sometime!!

This post has been removed.

I've read people will put the signs up Friday afternoon and retrieve the signs on Sunday, less likely for code enforcement to see the signs. Is that a solid strategy?

Originally posted by @Doug Haisten :

I've read people will put the signs up Friday afternoon and retrieve the signs on Sunday, less likely for code enforcement to see the signs. Is that a solid strategy?

If you reviewed the posters story, you'd discover this would be a poor strategy since code enforcement still works over the weekend in many municipalities.

There are places that I can only put out a job sign while I am working. The minute I stop working I must take the sign down.

@Victor Barboza If you're the only sign where you put them, most likely they'll fine you. Another strategy is to put them where others signs are which has worked for me in the past. All those new development and political signs tend to be kept in place. (Weird eh?) Though, I wouldn't count on bandit signs as your only source of leads. It's been hit and miss for me in the past. Stopped doing it awhile back. Referrals and networking turned out to be more effective. Good luck! 

Originally posted by @Victor Barboza :

I put up tons of signs last night, just right now I got a call. It was a guy who works for the city (which they are closed today since its Saturday). He gave a warning, and said that its a violation if they are not taken down. Can they fine me on Monday if I leave them out, and pick them up tomorrow (Sunday)?

Yes they can fine you. They are called Bandit signs for a reason my man.

Bandit sign means an illegal commercial sign posted on a utility pole, street sign, or other street furniture; or any other sign placed within a public right of way or public property or on private property such that it is visible from a public right of way or public property.

The code enforcement near me found a neat way to fine those bandit signs .  Greed .  They would call the number on the sign , make arrangements have the guy come to look at the house  ( the code officers house )  when the wholesaler showed up , the code officer got all his info , and handed them a fine . 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

The code enforcement near me found a neat way to fine those bandit signs .  Greed .  They would call the number on the sign , make arrangements have the guy come to look at the house  ( the code officers house )  when the wholesaler showed up , the code officer got all his info , and handed them a fine . 

I don't think enforcing the ordnance against bandit signs should be looked at with disdain. Nobody has the right to slap a sign up on someone else's property. I have no issues with cities enforcing the ordnance in the way you described.

@Rachel H. Thank you for the response. I am working on other channels and now using DM, lead generating website, driving for dollars, flyers, and word of mouth. On Facebook page they seem to love bandit signs (and cold calling).  I have thought about adding bandit signs but don't like the idea of dodging code enforcement.

Originally posted by @Rachel H.:

@Victor Barboza If you're the only sign where you put them, most likely they'll fine you. Another strategy is to put them where others signs are which has worked for me in the past. All those new development and political signs tend to be kept in place. (Weird eh?) Though, I wouldn't count on bandit signs as your only source of leads. It's been hit and miss for me in the past. Stopped doing it awhile back. Referrals and networking turned out to be more effective. Good luck! 

Not weird at all.  Most municipal codes have exceptions that allow both political signs and various sorts of real estate signs.  Just not bandit signs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here