Most Successful Direct Mail List Criteria?

5 Replies

Just checking the current temperature out there to see what lists everyone is having success with in the current market.

Originally posted by @Owen Dashner :

Just checking the current temperature out there to see what lists everyone is having success with in the current market.

Good to meet you..

The equity list is my first choice. The list characteristics are as follows

• 30-100% equity
  • 5 year ownership or greater
  • SFR, occasionally duplexes, tris and quads. No Condos unless in a high condo market.
  • 2/3rds median value or lower. Not greater than median. 
  • No Corps
  • No Trusts unless in a high trust area.

Some people want to include bedroom count, year built and square footage. I dont use them when creating a list.  

The key component I use prior to the list is running a double algorithm on the market to tell me where to spend my marketing dollars.

Those algorithms are based upon the following

• Number of Cash Absentee purchased last 6 months
  • Number of SFR units
  • Number of NODs or Lis Pendens
  • Number of REOs
  • Average Days on Market
  • Median Sales price
  • Number of 30% to 100% equity to median
  • Percent equity to Units
  • Number of units in the bottom 1/3rd, middle 1/3rd and top 1/3rd of median

Thanks Michael, we actually have been using yellowletters.com for our recent DM campaigns.  Your criteria you mentioned are pretty close to what we have been using recently, just trying to keep my finger on the pulse for any changes recently, so obviously appreciate your insight.

What I do is add this

No kids, over 45 years old.

My equity I put 90% and up,

You thin out your list but whatever lea you get is a really good lead.

People have been having luck with Seniors with 20+ Year Ownership.  You can combine this with home value, single family homes and high equity.

Adding Low Financial Stability Scores narrows the list even further.

This group are a great target because they are often ready to downsize or transition to assistance. They can also appreciate the convenience of not having to "prepare" the house to go on the market.

We have had success with absentee owners and vacant property list with min 50% - 70% LTV, SFR & multi family.

Direct mail is quite expensive but there are less expensive alternatives. We have used Ringless Voice Mail and Voice Broadcasting with REI Market Pro. They even have coaching packages to get you started.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you