Depreciation Recapture for Sale of Rental Home

2 Replies

I'm about to sell a house I bought for $290K in 2009 for $365K. We lived in it from 2009-2015, and have been renting it out the past 2 1/2 years - so we won't have to pay capital gains tax on the sale - since we pass the 2/5 year test and the $500K exclusion test. 

But I'm confused on whether we will have to pay taxes on depreciation recapture (about $25k during the past 2 1/2 years). Do I have to count that as income? Will it affect my 2018 adjusted gross income? 

Thanks for any help I can get!

Originally posted by @Joshua Brooks :

I'm about to sell a house I bought for $290K in 2009 for $365K. We lived in it from 2009-2015, and have been renting it out the past 2 1/2 years - so we won't have to pay capital gains tax on the sale - since we pass the 2/5 year test and the $500K exclusion test. 

But I'm confused on whether we will have to pay taxes on depreciation recapture (about $25k during the past 2 1/2 years). Do I have to count that as income? Will it affect my 2018 adjusted gross income? 

Thanks for any help I can get!

Hey Joshua, 

So there will definitely be depreciation recapture. As mentioned above it's a tax that's up to 25%.  The remainder of the gain will be excluded under section 121. 

Quick question- you mentioned the purchase price but not the value when it was converted to a rental- It should be the lower of the two used for depreciation purposes. I see a lot of returns where depreciation is calculated incorrectly - Just throwing that out there as it may help to have it reviewed prior to reporting in case there are any changes to depreciation that may save you money. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you