Which sites do you buy lists from?

4 Replies

I'm looking to buy a list to start sending out letters. What sites do you use to purchase your lists? What makes you use that site? Better pricing or better information? Have you ever sent out hand written post cards or just letters? Thinking about writing the letters myself for now to get the experience and use my limited funds to target more people rather than spending some on someone else sending them at the moment. Thanks!

Many investors use listsource.com. I have my mail provider pull lists through listsource for me. He gets better pricing than I could. When I first started out years ago, I did some of the mailing myself, but I did not handwrite the letters. I used a handwriting font for the letters, and then actually hand wrote the envelopes. That is what gets people to open them. When you get a letter in the mail and it is hand addressed you wonder who it is from and open it.

Setting up mail merge, printing the letters, stuffing and sealing the envelopes, hand writing the envelopes and then stamping them is VERY time consuming. That time could better spent on other tasks and activities in my opinion.

Check out REsimpli. This is who i use for my direct mail and have been happy with them. Get with @Sharad M. . He can give you all the pricing and see how it compares to doing it yourself.

Consider working with a list broker who can make suggestions - as well as competitive pricing. There are alternative compilers to ListSource additional demographics that can be added.

Always be sure to ask if you will be getting the NCOA certificate with your list. This certifies that the company building your list has run the file through the Post Office's National Change of Address.

You can write letters yourself  tailored to the audience you have chosen, but NEVER make statements that indicate personal knowledge about the person. For example, if your list is based on homeowners with low Financial Stability Scores (FSS) - don't say "I can solve your financial problems by buying your house". Instead, try something along the lines of "The financial responsibilities of homeownership can be overwhelming".

Postage is going to be your most expensive part of the campaign. Research your cost for postcards vs letters.

Originally posted by @Matthew Charron :
I'm looking to buy a list to start sending out letters. What sites do you use to purchase your lists? What makes you use that site? Better pricing or better information? Have you ever sent out hand written post cards or just letters?

Thinking about writing the letters myself for now to get the experience and use my limited funds to target more people rather than spending some on someone else sending them at the moment. Thanks!

Good to meet you... 

Here is a list of nearly 1600 addresses in West Warwick Rhode Island. Compiled of Single family residences, under your median, 30% plus equity. Have at it... List

As for postcards or handwritten letters I would go with the naked letter. I can't say much more than that or the post will be removed for self promotion...

Good house hunting....

As for who to buy from please only buy from people who actually know what theyre doing... There are a lot of providers who have never bought a house much less hundred upon hundreds

I know people do well with lists.  I personally have never purchased one.  I have found that the best leads come from an established network. The same people are chasing the same deals if your are buying lists in my opinion.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you