Sending out my first marketing round

9 Replies

Hello all, I’m PCSing to whiteman AFB at the end of the year. I’m planning on buying a fourplex, but there are none in the market currently. I’m not moving until December so I decided to try out some direct mail marketing. I graduated with a computer science degree and found a way to use the county website photos and address to send out postcards. I used the building use code to find all the fourplexes around Kansas City and used some fancy code to download all the images. My postcard says “I love your property at (address). Looking to 1031 exchange, scale, or sell? Call me at (my number)” with a big photo of that property on the side courtesy of the county assessor website. Does that sound like an effective tactic? I don’t want people feeling uncomfortable or getting sued. I looked it up and since it’s a government product it’s not copyrighted. Any help would be great. Thank you!

@Grayson Gist - wow - sounds great to me. 

I know that Deal Machine lets you send a postcard with a pic of the house (not sure how that would make the home owner feel) but if they are rental properties it should be fine.

Love to hear how it works out for you - 

I have a few of my clients using postcards with the photo of the property. I have even received a few. At first it does seem a little creepy but the end results they have shared with me is they are getting a better response rate then without the photos. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Grayson,

Good for you to get started. The most important thing is to get something in their hands that tells everyone what you do. The phone will ring with all kinds of responses. Some good and some well... It may take you a few mailings to get the exact respobse you want. Condier some different copy, with or without photo or branded/unbranded till you figure out what works best.

You will also get mail back. Figure out how to find new addresses for those.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Account Closed:
Hello all,

I’m PCSing to whiteman AFB at the end of the year. I’m planning on buying a fourplex, but there are none in the market currently.

I’m not moving until December so I decided to try out some direct mail marketing. I graduated with a computer science degree and found a way to use the county website photos and address to send out postcards. I used the building use code to find all the fourplexes around Kansas City and used some fancy code to download all the images.

My postcard says "I love your property at (address). Looking to 1031 exchange, scale, or sell? Call me at (my number)" with a big photo of that property on the side courtesy of the county assessor website.

Does that sound like an effective tactic?

I don’t want people feeling uncomfortable or getting sued. I looked it up and since it’s a government product it’s not copyrighted.

Any help would be great. Thank you!

To me that is a horrible idea (sorry).

People are so sensitive about invading in on one's privacy. That has creepy written all over it!

You send people a generic letter like that with a picture of their house, and if you look closely you see the misses on the pooper through the window...  no!

Sellers really are not stupid. If you send a postcard it is obvious they are not the only one that will get a postcard.

If you want to come across you only sent them a mailer, write them a personal hand written letter (which I also am not a fan of).

But what you are planning on doing with the postcard is a big no. It is WAY too obvious you are trying to trick them into their faor. It is just not going to work in my humble opinion.

Instead of trying to show you are personally writing them, it is a lot more valuable to show you are legit and credible. Instead of a picture of their house put a picture of you! Professional credible clear face shot.

They much rather know about you, than anything else.

With direct mail marketing .. heck with investing, you really need to stop considering sellers being this unknown entity in this equation. Think and use your own logic.

Do your campaign based on what you think should work and justify it by trying to disprove a method.

How?

What I did with your idea, is disproving its validity.

When you can no longer find reasons why it is a bad idea, it is most likely a great idea!

Originally posted by Account Closedinvitation cards that you can personalize. Write the folks a note... There cant be many Quads in the area. Tell them your story... Who you are and your "why"... Someone is going to bite... I have always said this business is all about marketing, (Lead Generation), talking to folks appropriately (Lead Capture), Nurturing the opportunity (Lead Loving) and lastly buying property for profit. (Lead Fulfillment). 

You may have to write them a lot to find one however you will. Once you hit the ground a few face to face hellos might be a great ice breaker... Share your value.  

Here is what you can never do in our business. Create motivation without offering an unreasonable amount of money... If you have the pockets of Oprah Winfrey you can all day and all night long....  

Hooah airmen!

Thanks both of you. I’ll probably change my tactic then and talk more about me and what I’m trying to do.

There are about 300 total and probably 50 I’d actually want to live in. I’ll try a 50/50 hand written note and postcard with me on it. We’ll see how that goes!

What was your AFSC?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you