Opinions on Facebook Marketing

13 Replies

Hi Everyone! 

Would love to hear about others experiences with Facebook Marketing. I am marketing to look for motivated sellers for my own flips and rentals not wholesaling as the main focus. So far I am running ads, boosting post and re-marketing website visitors. My ads are pretty simple now usually just a picture and short call to action. Would love any tips on what types of ads have worked best for other investors. I am considering having an explaining video created. My main goal with the ads currently is to drive traffic to my website which in turn allows me to re-market to visitors. I like that you can test several types of ads with a set budget but unless I am missing something Facebook has somewhat limited demographics options for specific target audiences for my goals. Would be extremely grateful for any tips and tricks! 

Matt--what campaign objectives are you using on Facebook, if you don't mind me asking? I see you mentioned boosting posts, but perhaps you're using a different objective but just using that terminology? On the off chance you are using that, I'd stay as far away from boost post as possible, it's like tossing money down the drain. It sounds like you may be doing something different since you have a CTA. 

Videos can be successful on insta/facebook, but keep it short, and make sure you add captioning. Something like 85% of videos are watched without sound, so it will really improve who actually watches it. If you have a longer message, maybe doing something like a 3 part video series? 

Images--what types of images are you using for your ads? FB favors people in images, so if you're doing a house heavy picture, consider how you can incorporate more faces. 

Just a few random things that may help! Good luck!

PS--how's the RE market in Wylie these days? I used to private tutor out that ways some times circa 2007-2012, and I've heard it's just exploded. 

@Rachel Rendall great feedback thank you! On the post boosting one round was to simply get some page likes on my page to add some legitimacy and another round promoting my website. I really just did the website promotion because it’s my understanding you need 1000 hits with your FB pixel to generate re-marketing. I may be wrong on this! I’ve seen the power of re-marketing on FB so that’s a pretty big marketing goal for me. I kind of see it like DM someone may need to see an ad 5 times before they act. 

Lead generation Ads have had a specific CTA. I’ve played around with adding a form through FB ad manager and then just having it redirect to my my website. No clear cut winner yet. I’m doing very simple ads with one pic and a want to explore animation stills and vids. I have added some on instagram as well. 

Wylie market is insane! We’ve lived here since 04 and pretty much everyone’s home values have doubled since. I try to buy here but houses that need complete rehabs still sell in a day or two barely below market value. Severe inventory shortage except new builds and even those are really slowing down. 

I agree with @Rachel Rendall . If you put together a video, definitely keep it short, captivating, and make sure to include captions! Create your video with your target market in mind and you'll most likely see an increase in responses to your ads. I also think marketing on Instagram could be beneficial in targeting younger renters. 

Good luck! 

@Rachel Rendall We almost bought a house in Fate before we moved in to our second house in Wylie in 09 and that area is crazy too! I have the same regret not keeping our first house in Wylie we built in 04. Of course it was 09 when we sold and bought so seemed like the end of the world! That house that was originally purchased for $150k and sells now for $265. We should have kept it as a rental because it brings about $2,400/month rent (because of very sought after ISD). We would have been cash flowing over a grand a month..

Social Media Marketing (SMM) is a great tool to generate leads and network.

It's becoming extremely saturated though so you must always think outside the box.

Watch what others are doing in your area and then look for ways to tweak their techniques.  

@Brian Garrett that's great advice and something I am looking at. It is kind of the benefit to re-marketing I check out others websites then start getting their ads to see what they are up to. There is a couple groups that are doing a real good job in my area I want to emulate to an extent. 

@Brian Garrett I need to look at Marketplace. I've only used it for selling properties but I can see the opportunities there to market when people are already shopping. I could see it being less intrusive than ads in feeds since they are already looking at a bunch of ads. 

@Matt C. you don't need 1000 hits to remarket - you need 100 emails to create a custom audience, but no bottom limit on remarketing. You will want a decent number or you will super saturate those people on even a small budget. 

I do social advertising for a living, and RE for retirement, so let me know if you need any specific advice. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you