When will the phone ring?

11 Replies

One thing I didn't think about until I mailed my first direct mail campaign was the time frame from which I should expect to receive calls. I ended up with two calls within the first week. I am curious what others have experienced and if any patters have developed through your longer running campaigns.

I'm not as curious about the number of calls received overall, but the time frame in which they were received. 

Do you guys experience the bulk of the calls withing the first week followed by a steady trickle down as weeks go on? 

Have you seen that calls before or after a certain point tend to be stronger leads?

Do you guys tweak any strategies to keep a steady amount of calls coming in based off of these results? (such as breaking a list in half and mailing twice a month)

More curious than anything. Would love to hear some of the things you guys have learned through the years!

Bulk calls at first and then stragglers. As for breaking the mail in drops... I like that as long as each drop is 1000 or more. Remember every call works out to be a total of 7 calls... Follow up and the like. Also anyone who mailed this week will suffer. People tend not to notice the mail during vacation weeks.. And we are in one... 

Hey @Chris Nowlin first class mail will typically hit in 4-6 business days after the mail drops and then you will have calls coming in over the next couple of days after that. A lot of times people will time it so that the mail hits at the beginning of the week. 

Sometimes prospects will hold on to the mailers and call a little bit down the line but for the most part calls will come in right after the mail hits. 

@Chris Nowlin congrats on your first calls! It is always exciting and a little bit nerve-raking when those calls start coming in. Our experience is that 70-80% of the calls will come in the day the mail hits and two to three days after that. Then it slows down until a next mail is delivered. We try to divide the whole mailing taking this into consideration so our acquisitions guy doesn't get overwhelmed one week and then slow the next. As you mail more and more you will start to see patterns and can time your mailing to better serve you.

Also, wanted to point  out that last Sunday we got a call from a letter we sent over 2 years ago, so calls can come anytime from mailing you don't even remember sending out. 

Good luck man. 

Thanks, @Michael Quarles . The first round I sent out was around Memorial Day. I figured that would make an impact, but I wasn't sure how much of one. I'm looking to get the second round out in the next few weeks. I will wait until this week has passed.

@McKinley Carbone I will make sure to time up my next round accordingly. Thanks for the input!

@Dennis Rodriguez Thanks for the input! From everyone I've listened to and everything I have heard overall, the two most important things seem to be actually sending the letters and then consistency! Makes sense because without them there isn't much of a campaign! 

If you ever make it down to the League City area, let me know! We have a group of guys that get together twice a month, officially, and occasionally for lunch!

@Chris Nowlin I have noticed that all my calls for a particular mailer happen within the first week. I send smaller mailer numbers and send them every week to keep leads coming in. My goal is to continually get phone calls every week. I place a different reference number on each letter or post card I mail out and then ask the callers what their reference number is. This helps me track what piece is getting the best response rates.

Originally posted by @Chris Nowlin :

Thanks, @Michael Quarles. The first round I sent out was around Memorial Day. I figured that would make an impact, but I wasn't sure how much of one. I'm looking to get the second round out in the next few weeks. I will wait until this week has passed.

@McKinley Carbone I will make sure to time up my next round accordingly. Thanks for the input!

Chris... scheduling First Class mail is somewhat predictable and effective however Standard mail there is absolutely no way to predict the arrival. You can have a message on the envelope asking the PO not to deliver on certain days however the PO doesnt have to honor the request. The problem with First Class is the price... It costs too much unless you're mailing a small postcard. Here are the days not to mail

• New Years
  • Mothers Day
  • Super Bowl Week
  • 4th of July 
  • Thanksgiving week
  • Christmas Unless done correctly.

I would if I knew the week not deliver mail during the first week school is out if you're mailing to owner Occs.

And mix your mail up. Dont send the same thing over and over. 

Originally posted by @Michael Quarles :
Originally posted by @Chris Nowlin:

Thanks, @Michael Quarles. The first round I sent out was around Memorial Day. I figured that would make an impact, but I wasn't sure how much of one. I'm looking to get the second round out in the next few weeks. I will wait until this week has passed.

Chris... scheduling First Class mail is somewhat predictable and effective however Standard mail there is absolutely no way to predict the arrival. You can have a message on the envelope asking the PO not to deliver on certain days however the PO doesnt have to honor the request. The problem with First Class is the price... It costs too much unless you're mailing a small postcard. Here are the days not to mail

• New Years
  • Mothers Day
  • Super Bowl Week
  • 4th of July 
  • Thanksgiving week
  • Christmas Unless done correctly.

I would if I knew the week not deliver mail during the first week school is out if you're mailing to owner Occs.

And mix your mail up. Dont send the same thing over and over. 

When looking at the Sunday events, would you try to avoid the week previous, following, or both if possible?

@Chris Nowlin Great question... The week leading up to the event... Post event is fine...  If marketing during Christmas stop marketing the few days before and not the week after because that is New Years.

Also only certain mail pieces are effective during Christmas. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you