Craigslist Add-Looking for Property

16 Replies

I just sold my most recent purchase and plan on starting to look for another property. I'm sending direct mail to multi-family owners with equity but in addition to that I figure it doesnt hurt to put an add on craigslist since its free. I"m not a big fan of flowery language are sales gimicks and prefer to just get to the point. Although, if something different works I'll try it.

Critique my add. Is there something I should add or subtract? Any suggestions for a heading and what section in craigslist should I post in?

"If your interested in selling your multi family rental property FAST and are willing to sell at a discount to the current market value then I am interested in buying your rental property. I am a local Columbia resident, I am not a Realtor and am looking for property for my own personal investment.

I can close in as little as a week on most property.

Looking for property up to 500k.

Any number of units in any condition considered.

I prefer property in the southern half of Columbia.

If we come to an agreement on a price I can promise a quick and simple closing.

If your interested in getting an offer on your multifamily rental, give me a call or send me an email via Craigslist."

Get rid of the agreement on price sentence. Get rid of the last sentence. It should read, "Call me with details" or something like that. Just say you can close quickly. You dont need the can close in a week thing because most title companies cant keep up with that even if you can. You also need to fix the part about selling at a discount off market value. Why would one do that. Market value is what it sells for. You want people to call you with deals that cashflow or do what you want.

You may get a few targeted calls on this ad. you can get more calls by saying a lot less. Of course you will then have to field more calls to find your deal. Something like

I am looking to buy multifamily properties in south columbia for investment purposes. I have cash and close quick if we agree on price. You can reach me at xxxxxxxx

Promotion
Azibo
Smart landlords use Azibo
One-stop-shop for landlords
Rent collection, banking, bill pay & access to competitive loans and insurance - free for landlords
Get started for free

Andy, I agree with Jeff and Jimmy here. Your version sounds too wordy and thought-out. Use Jimmy's, and I'd include the phone number too. It is a risk I'd take to make the deal.

By the way. You are using "your" when it is "you're" and "add" when it is "ad."

Good luck,
M

Jeffrey, I revised see below. I can close in a week and my title company can do title that quickly. I dont want people to think that quickly is 4 weeks and dont bother to call because they would rather wait around for a retail buyer. I want them to realize there problem can literally be gone next week.

"You also need to fix the part about selling at a discount off market value. Why would one do that. Market value is what it sells for." The reason I put that in their is because that is what i'm looking for. I'm looking for multi family to flip. If I didnt put that in their I assume I would have to sift through 100 people to get to 1 that might be willing to sell at a discount. On the other hand, if I leave it out then I might be able to buy at a discount when the seller thinks they are really getting market value. I may remove the selling at a discount and see what happens. I was just hoping to pre-screen these people before they ever contacted me.

I'm looking for multifamily properties to flip, not necessarily that cash flow.

I will put my phone number in add.

Jeff B, thanks for grammar corrections. Never been my strong suit.

"If your interested in selling your multi family rental property FAST and are willing to sell at a discount to the current market value then I am interested in buying your rental property. I am a local Columbia resident, I am not a Realtor and am looking for property for my own personal investment.

I can guarantee a quick and simple closing.

Looking for property up to 500k.

Any numberuld rather wait around for a retail buyer. I want them to realize there problem can literally be gone next week.

"You also need to fix the part about selling at a discount off market value. Wh

"I am interested in buying your multi-family rental property in the southern half of Columbia. I am a local investor, not a Realtor.
I can close quickly on properties that are in any condition and are $500k and less.
Call or email with details, (555)-555-5555."

Proof, Copy, Paste, Done!

Jeffrey, I appreciate your opinion and would be interested in hearing why you dont think I should just lay it out there and say in my ad i wont pay retail price and allow the unmotivated sellers to screen themselves

Because it sounds like you are trying to rip them off and if they were to do anything other than call you they would get market, which is what it is worth. Why would someone take less than market. Everything you buy is market because the person willing to pay the most is the market. People want the most they can get.

Jeff,

You read it as i'm tyring to rip people off. I read it as me saying that I can offer you a guaranteed quick sale in return for a reduction in price. I guess the question is how do most potential sellers read it? I've been told before that I overestmate peoples intelligence, maybe i'm doing that now.

"Why would someone take less than market" Because getting market/retail value takes time to get and they are motived and need to sell yesterday.

"Everything you buy is market because the person willing to pay the most is the market." If I said market value I meant retail value. Everything I buy is not at retail value.

"People want the most they can get." Off course, who can blame them. If if the NEED to sell within 10 days then my offer might be the best because other higher offers can't close that quickly.

Bottom line is that i'm just try to avoid wasting peoples time who want retail price. If they need a quick close I can give them that but they need to give me a discount in return.

Hey Andy,

From a pure marketing standpoint, the less you say the better the response. I applaud you for looking to place ads on Craigslist and anywhere else, but definitely try to keep to an absolute minimum number of words when developing your ad. I think letting people know you are a "value investor who can close quickly and help owners find solutions to their needs" is plenty. Most of the replies you are seeing are from investors, marketers and people doing deals and I think most of the comments are correct in advising to just keep it simple. If someone is looking to move a property and responding to an ad - they are going to respond to ads that catch their attention first.

A headline might read - "TOP Multi- Family Property Buyer Needs More South Columbia Properties - TODAY!"

I post in Real Estate Services and get decent response. You after all are providing a service.

Chris

Thanks, Chris Clothier, for your input about the section of Craigslist you use.

And Andy, I don't think Jeff read it that you are trying to rip people off. He's trying to say that your potential customer might feel that way. And if they feel that way, they won't call you. And if they don't call you....well, the whole point of marketing is to get them to call you.

You can have them self screen all you want, but in the end, if they don't call you, and your phone doesn't ring, what's the point?

At least then you can make them an offer. And follow up later. Maybe some of them will become deals when they realize they have to give up price to get speed. But if they don't call you, you never get that opportunity.

Everyone wants to feel they are getting the best deal they can, no one wants to feel they left money on the table, certainly not from the get go.

Ok, you guys convinced me to change the ad. I've changed it to what Jeffrey recomended. Worse case scenario if i'm wasting to much time with unmotivated sellers I can change it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you