Target Property has a Tax Lien on it. Can you help me score it?

3 Replies

Hi there, I was walking around looking for distressed properties using the info I learned from these forums and identified a target.

Then I went online to the property appraisers and found the property - BINGO! - has a Tax Lien. Does anyone have any wisdom on how to efficiently leverage this info when approaching a seller via letter or door knock?

Thank you!

Kraig

Is the property owned occupied? Direct mail or door knock works if it is owner occupied. Otherwise use skip trace to get the contact information of the property owner and other situation of the owner.  It might also be useful to find out whether the house is in foreclosure filed by the mortgage company. Once you reach the right person, try to approach the owner by offering some sort of solution to the issues the property is having. 

@Kraig Kujawa I have mailed directly to properties with tax liens with a low success rate but I am a horrible direct mail marketer.  A very smart guy from my market has mailed to properties that have tax liens offering to help them understand the situation for free. 

Since you are targeting one specific property I always think it is best to call. If you mail, you don't even know if they received it much less opened it.  I usually say something like "I was cheeking public records and I found   .   .   .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you