Maximizing Driving for Dollars in Multifamily Area

4 Replies

Hey BP,

I'm new to real estate investing, and I'm looking for some advice on driving for dollars in a dense multifamily area. 

I'm in Sacramento CA and there is a large multifamily inventory. In my farm area, about 80-85% of the homes are small multifamily (2-6 units). When I'm driving for dollars and noticing dilapidated or mismanaged properties, I make note of them. Once I have this list of addresses, how do I find the owners, when most of their addresses won't match the property I'm searching for? Do I need to purchase a list of absentee owners form listsource etc, or is there a way I can get to property owners before they're "listed?"

Anything helps. Thanks a ton

Jarrett P.

In Sacramento County I don't think you can find property owner information online for free. You have to call or go to the county assessor office. The other options are find someone with access to the MLS as tax records can be pulled through there or you can sign up for a Property Radar account (they offer a free trial).

@Jarrett Powell , Another platform similar to Listsource you can look into is AgentPro247.com, you can pull property data and owner info from there as well. 

With multifamily properties, sometimes you need to play with the address - for example, if you have a 4plex and the units are 621, 623, 625, 627 main st, the address for the parcel many not always be 621 main st but instead 625 or 627 main st.  You may also use the local city GIS tool online to figure out what the specific address or parcel number to make sure you're pulling records for the proper property, although platforms like agentpro247 have a GIS-like tool function.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you