Tax deed properties

3 Replies

Buying back taxes does not mean you get the deed to the property.   First, every municipality (or county) has a different process.  Ideally, you should consult an attorney who does this.  But eventually you can petition the court to turn it into a deed.  For the  parcel number, your city or county usually has a website.  For example, Cook County Assessor.  It gives you the option to look up via parcel number or address.  If you type the parcel number, it will tell you the  address and probably a picture, ownership and some other information.

I've tried to go through my county assessor and for some reason it will not let me find any information through the parcel. I will give them a call tomorrow to see what can be done. I stay in Birmingham, Al. They have a tax delinquent list of properties in Alabama that have been sold to the state. Properties that have been on the market for over 3 years. From what I've learned you get that list, fill out a application and they email you back on a Thursday with a quote and owners name, but no address. You then have 20 days to purchase the deed or you won't be able to any more. Look up Alabama tax delinquents. I'm aware of the auction process, but still learning. My main concern now is finding the address to the property to see the condition before I purchase the certificate, deed, etc. What are the very first steps you would take in order to purchase one? I'm taking all kinds of advice from a lot of different people. I dont not care if its a tax lien at all. Im looking to find one that needs little work so i can rent it out, or make my money back plus interest if owner wabts to get it back. Anything helps, thanks you.

To find the address, google Jefferson County Alabama GIS Maps.  That will take you to the map site.  Look up the property by the parcel id number by clicking on the "search" binoculars icon, and then the "custom query" icon. Enter the parcel ID number. For Jefferson County, a  parcel id number on the state website of 01221540160030000000 should be entered as follows, leaving off the initial "01" because that just means Jefferson County, and they are ALL Jefferson County on the map.

22 00 15 4 016 003.000  Put the spaces where indicated, and leave off the final four zeros.  It will take you to a screen where you can zoom to the parcel on the map, and also see tax assessor information.

You are not put into "time out" if you don't buy anything from ADOR after receiving a quote. They used to have a 20 quote limit, if you got 20 quotes and didn't buy anything, you could not get a quote for a year. Then they did away with that and got slammed with wholesalers asking for quotes on hundreds of properties and not buying anything. They might have changed it back again. I'll call and find out. But, under no circumstances would they ever require you to buy your very first one or else.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you