• Rental Property Investor
  • Hummelstown, PA
Votes |
Critique my direct mail system

Kyle McCorkel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hummelstown, PA
Posted Sep 26 2018, 06:46

I've implemented a direct mail campaign for the past 4-5 months (with limited success I feel - 1 deal and about a half-dozen "good" leads, with a bunch of tirekickers) and feel that I'm ready to tweak and/or scale.  I will outline my current system below along with some questions - any advice on where I should focus my efforts would be appreciated.

• I am not wholesaling right now; strictly looking for my own deals.
  • Target properties: Looking for low-end BRRRR's (ARV <$120K) and low-to-mid-end flips (ARV $120K-$300K). Also 2-4 unit BRRRR's.
  • I'm using MyREIPro.com for list generation and to send out the direct mail and like it so far.
  • List generation: I either do Absentee Owners with >50% equity OR drive for dollars and lookup the owner's contact info.  I'm targeting only B and A class areas. 
  • Current scale: about 200-300 pieces per month
  • I mail to each owner once per month for at least 3 consecutive months
  • I have a single postcard template that I send every time (see below)
  • The website is a simple landing page where the prospects type in some general info and submit a form.  Then I call them.

• The number is a google voice number that goes straight to voicemail.  It's a simple recording where I tell them a bit about myself then invite them to leave a message.  Then I call them back.

• On the call back, I'm prepared with a rough script of questions for them about the property.  I also let them know what I do and am up front with what to expect from me.  If they are not tire kickers, then I'll arrange to go see the property.

• After a property walk through, I'll call them with a verbal offer within 24 hours.  If it's convenient, I'll deliver a written offer as well.

Questions:

• Should I tweak the list criteria? There's a lot of older people in the Central PA area - how can I target older owners and also probate/executors of will?
  • Should I tweak the frequency? Is 1x/month too much or not enough? How many total mailings should I send to each owner (I'm thinking 6 feels right)
  • Should I design one or two other postcard templates so they are not getting the exact same postcard over and over?
  • The website/pitch: "Central PA Fixer Upper".  I've gotten feedback from one owner that felt insulted that I was calling her property a fixer upper.  I kinda rolled my eyes...but do you think I am losing leads due to this kind of wording? In my mind, I figured it would weed out people who had too much emotional investment in their property.  I want people who just want to get rid of it.
  • Should I improve/add to the website? Maybe some testimonials/about me/FAQ's?
  • With the google voice number, should I continue to have it go straight to voicemail? I do have some missed calls where callers do not leave a message.  Perhaps this might weed out some tirekickers, or perhaps I am losing leads this way.

For those who are still with me, thanks for reading all my questions.  Any help would be appreciated as I work to make my direct mail system as efficient as possible.

Loading replies...