What questions do you ask?

30 Replies

Hey guys!

I am just getting started in investing and trying to look for my first house to buy. I found some great potential houses for me but I was wondering when you call the owner what questions do y'all ask? Is there like a certain set of questions you go through?

well, I don't call anyone.. they call me

And I ask them how much there is left on the mortgage. It is a waste of time (to me) if they still owe too much.

Originally posted by @Christian Walker :

@Jerryll Noorden

How did you build up a good rep for people to start calling you? And also, how did you start?

I will give you my guide on how I started. It is a step by step "diary" what I did when I was an absolute rookie. EVERYTHING I did, from mistakes to good ideas.

How do I have people contact me?

I own the first page of Google.

When competitors put out bandit signs... people google the signs to find out what company is behind them... they find me online:

When those stinky competitors of mine spend a fortune on Direct mailers, do you seriously think people will just blindly call the number on the card? Yeah right, they will google first... and who will they find?

Me of course.

In fact, want to see something very interesting?

When people look for the best keywords in our niche on google like "We buy houses in Connecticut" Cash for my CT house" etc. etc.

This is what Google displays..

My name come sup as a suggested result. This means we (I) have become extremely trusting in the eyes of Google and I am the authority when it comes to picking anyone "to by my house fast".

The numbers do not lie... Google does not lie.

How can you POSSIBLY choose someone else when Google SUGGEST you should pick me.

;)

And that my friend is when you upgrade from being a mortal Yooman being to a Jerryll SEO God ;)

Ego much?

Yes.. bigger than  the sun!

Fear the monkey!

Originally posted by @Jaysen Medhurst :

Wonder twin powers activate, @Jerryll Noorden! You see some good MFR value-add opportunities come your way, let's talk. Particularity interested 5+ units in New London / Groton and Manchester areas.

What towns do you see most of your deals coming from?

As I was trying to read your message my email is going crazy with all these annoying leads coming in.... Sighh...

Muahahaha

Well my dear investor from Greenwich...

Let me check these leads and I will tell you what cities are hot and which are not...

One moment...

@Christian Walker what kind of investor do you want to be? Buy and Hold? Flipper? Rehabber? Wholesaler? The answer to that question opens up a world of other conversations which will start you on your way.

I've spent the last several months learning all i can about REI and listening to the BP Podcast and have waffled around a LOT on a few areas I want to focus on. I still havent pulled the trigger on anything, but I have my reasons (new baby soon!).

That is quite a range, @Jerryll Noorden. 

Yeah it is. But those are not all ..

We also get a ton of multi-families in Bridgeport,.. heck man seriously.. we get them all over. It seems we keep getting leads from cities I have never even heard off before...

Who knew...

Originally posted by @Scott Kimberly :

@Christian Walker what kind of investor do you want to be? Buy and Hold? Flipper? Rehabber? Wholesaler? The answer to that question opens up a world of other conversations which will start you on your way.

I've spent the last several months learning all i can about REI and listening to the BP Podcast and have waffled around a LOT on a few areas I want to focus on. I still havent pulled the trigger on anything, but I have my reasons (new baby soon!).

YAY new lil monkey to be born soon...

I am opening a school for Lil monkey minions. I am in desprate need for a bunch of cute ones to help me take over. Enroll now!

Congrats my man. May your lil sugarbooger be twice as smart as I am, and half as handsome (sorry.. it is not possible to more shhmexy than moi)

this is the best thread I've read in a LONG time! @Jerryll Noorden do you rest your HUGE head for that ego on your stacks of hundreds while you type this or do you have lats the size of The Rock!?  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for keeping it real, keeping it light and keeping it fun.

Originally posted by @David Wolber :

this is the best thread I've read in a LONG time! @Jerryll Noorden do you rest your HUGE head for that ego on your stacks of hundreds while you type this or do you have lats the size of The Rock!?  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Bro.. My huge head has its own gravity field! Put a compass a mile from my head and it starts to skew away from "North"!

Dude the reason there is even a tide is because I wake up in the morning and my head thus rises up!

I can go on!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @David Wolber:

Bro.. My huge head has its own gravity field! Put a compass a mile from my head and it starts to skew away from "North"!

Dude the reason there is even a tide is because I wake up in the morning and my head thus rises up!

I can go on!

All hail the One True North!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

I can go on!

I got another minion for my army of the death...

I mean the army of good... ahum.

To the king of the North.., I mean Apes

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

I can go on!

DUDE!!

You know what "Noorden" means?

It means "The North" In Dutch (my mother tongue)

I friggin AM the true king of the North... just better looking (just not better smelling)

Originally posted by @Shirley Rozenshteyn :

@Jerryll Noorden

Poor guy, @Christian Walker, tried to ask a normal question and got all this...

Exactly. He was asking a NORMAL question. We all know ct is full if weirdo freakies.

He is lucky. I am one if the less crazy ones around.

I saved him.

You are welcome bubbles!

@Christian Walker to answer your question. I don't call first. AS a former stock broker, I hate cold calling and HATE being cold called. Aside from all the chest thumping here, I will tell you what I do (I am sure I will get sh*t for this, but whatever. )

1. Find a distressed property, possibly a motivated seller. 

2. Skip Trace and verify them myself

3. Send a handwritten letter (Not some computer generated wannabe) 

4. Log them in my Database. 

5. Wait about 5-7 days

6. Then call them. But it's not a cold call. Here is the secret sauce; Ready? 

"Hey Jim, This is Shaun. I sent you a letter about a week ago regarding your house on xxx street in xyz town, Did you get it? I know that the post office tends to lose things" 

Jim: "No" -- He could have gotten it and tossed it without reading or opening it.

(Either way, say this) 

"Well Jim, either way the reason for my calls is ---"

And start your pitch. I am very interested in buying your house, etc

Wonder twin powers activate, @Jerryll Noorden! You see some good MFR value-add opportunities come your way, let's talk. Particularity interested 5+ units in New London / Groton and Manchester areas.

What towns do you see most of your deals coming from?

Wait wait wait...

"Wonder twin powers activate"!?

Ok dude. How old ARE you!!!

That stuff aired when you had to walk to the tv to change channels!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here