Direct Mail Marketing Success

6 Replies

Happy Friday BP!

After deciding to focus on Buy and Hold deals, narrowing my search to 3 greater metro areas, of which I have lived and am familiar with, as well as analyzing numerous deals from the MLS and wholesalers, I have taken another step in my REI journey. I decided to use my criteria and buy an absentee owners list, in hopes if generating more leads.

I am wondering what direct mail service companies you recommend and what strategies are working for you? Are you using a postcard or letter? Including a picture of yourself, company logo, etc.? Has certain language worked better than others? What creative approaches have you used to stand out from the crowd? 

I understand this be an iterative process and certain layouts are more attractive to some people more than others, but I am looking to understand what have you seen success using, including, and doing?

Originally posted by @Kasey Gourley :

Happy Friday BP!

After deciding to focus on Buy and Hold deals, narrowing my search to 3 greater metro areas, of which I have lived and am familiar with, as well as analyzing numerous deals from the MLS and wholesalers, I have taken another step in my REI journey. I decided to use my criteria and buy an absentee owners list, in hopes if generating more leads.

I am wondering what direct mail service companies you recommend and what strategies are working for you? Are you using a postcard or letter? Including a picture of yourself, company logo, etc.? Has certain language worked better than others? What creative approaches have you used to stand out from the crowd? 

I understand this be an iterative process and certain layouts are more attractive to some people more than others, but I am looking to understand what have you seen success using, including, and doing?

I would never recommend you do wholesaling without having a website that converts,

So if you don't, you are going to throw a lot of money away.. buhbuy!!

But if you are stubborn and refuse to listen to me...

Yes put a picture of your wife, GF first. If you are a loner, yeah then put your picture first and foremost.

If that is not an option then yes put your logo.

Keep it simple, no doodles, not figures, no desperate methods or tactics .. you just look an come across stupid and desperate.

Give your message plain and simple and refer them to your site.

that's all really.

Why a solid website?

A website (a good one) will do a much better job converting traffic into leads better than ANY MAILER CAN period!

Hi @Kasey Gourley ! Congrats on taking this step. It's been a while since you posted this so you may have already gone ahead with your mailer but I wanted to throw my two cents your way. My husband and I have done a few mailers and typically target home owners from the tax foreclosure list in our area. From each list we have been able to meet with a few motivated sellers and one resulted in our first flip. 

We typically send out postcards and they are fairly simple with a text that resembles a person's handwriting. We haven't included our picture on it but do use a company logo. It's surprising but also exciting how much of a response you can get from a mailer. 

As Jerryll mentioned, a website is also helpful if you are looking for motivated sellers. We purchased our through carrot.com and they provide a number of resources with your purchase, geared specifically for investors and realtors.  

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do! It is worth it and in today's market finding off market deals is the best way to go. 

Originally posted by @Christa Burket :

Hi @Kasey Gourley ! Congrats on taking this step. It's been a while since you posted this so you may have already gone ahead with your mailer but I wanted to throw my two cents your way. My husband and I have done a few mailers and typically target home owners from the tax foreclosure list in our area. From each list we have been able to meet with a few motivated sellers and one resulted in our first flip. 

We typically send out postcards and they are fairly simple with a text that resembles a person's handwriting. We haven't included our picture on it but do use a company logo. It's surprising but also exciting how much of a response you can get from a mailer. 

As Jerryll mentioned, a website is also helpful if you are looking for motivated sellers. We purchased our through carrot.com and they provide a number of resources with your purchase, geared specifically for investors and realtors.  

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do! It is worth it and in today's market finding off market deals is the best way to go. 

May I offer a bit of humble help to add to your strategy?

I would put a picture of a human up if I were you. A female (you?) really works best.

Then I personally would not use script print. I would just use print but absolutely do your own testing for that.

Then lastly consider this:

Our website has about a 15% conversion rate

Our DMM (back in the day though), has about a 70% (with a picture of a human female) conversion rate. Our goal for the DMM is not to convince people to sell to us, but simply to visit our website. So out of the 100 people about 70 will visit the site.

Now you can say well that is click bait, that will not help with conversions.

Here is the power in it. When your website really is great and memorable, they will remember it. And when they ever come across a friend that needs to sell their house they more likely than not will direct them to the website.

But that is just a bonus.

15% x 70% = 10% conversion.

So I wouldn't say "a website helps" for DMM, it truly is the secret weapon to DMM.

I hope this helps. I know this message has a bit of a sexist feel to it, but I am just sharing what works.

Try it out and see if it improves your DMM campaigns!

Also I have a bunch of very crucial pointers you should absolutely change on your website. If you like we should talk about this. It really does wonders once you implement my suggested changes.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you