Looking to buy condo

11 Replies

I want to buy a condo in the northwest suburbs of chicago to start owning property. Would I be best to go on zillow, truila etc. Or does anyone know of other website to find great deals such as below market or forclosed?

Hi @Nicholas O'Hara , which NW suburbs are you currently considering? My partner and I are Chicago-natives, as well as, rental property investors in the city. We are happy to share insights about our market knowledge and connect you with the best professionals in the industry. Feel free to send us a direct message if you're interested in chatting further.

Besides finding a broker to help out, the other suggestion would be to go to the buildings and look on there pin boards usually in front of the lobby or sometimes in the laundry area, this is were you can sometimes find for sale by owners that may not be posted in other spots.

I work a lot in Arlington Heights/Mt Prospect area and there are definitely condos that could be good opportunities. If you would like to be set up with a MLS search I would be happy to help out. You may also want to look at HUD properties on hud.gov. With foreclosed condos you need to be aware of unpaid assessments because that could potentially add a lot to your initial costs.

OK no people NO!

we are investors. If you you are going to look on Zillow and the like to primarily find deals you are NOT an investor. You are a traditional buyer. No you do not go through agents, you do not go through brokers, you find off market deals.

If you are just buying one property, then ok sure, but then bigger pockets is not the place for you.

If you are making this into a business, you need to stop looking at zillow for answers.

We get our leads through our own website. We get so many leads that we can cherry pick the best deals. That is what you should look into.

Here is a peak of what your goal should be like:

This doesn't include all the phone calls we get or emails from people that directly email us!

Here is the thing.

All you agents and brokers, are you guys getting 10 leads a day? without marketing without spending a dollar? No? Then how are you going to help buyers/investors that needs leads when you don't even get leads.

Access to MLS is not helping you stand out from anyone. ALL agents have access to the MLS. Both buyers, investors agents AND brokers, need to make sure you are better than your competition.

We put SIGNIFICANT effort to be better than our competitors, 

Be smarter, better looking, have more degrees, have a better website have a better closing rate, get more leads.. anything EVERYTHING. Use what you got and set yourself apart!

Any single one of you that is just going to say "hey I have access to the MLS I can help you" you are one of the million that have the exact same credentials.

Market yourselves people! Stand out. Why would John pick you over the other agent?

In the land of REI the one that has the leads is King/queen

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

OK no people NO!

we are investors. If you you are going to look on Zillow and the like to primarily find deals you are NOT an investor. You are a traditional buyer. No you do not go through agents, you do not go through brokers, you find off market deals.

If you are just buying one property, then ok sure, but then bigger pockets is not the place for you.

If you are making this into a business, you need to stop looking at zillow for answers.

We get our leads through our own website. We get so many leads that we can cherry pick the best deals. That is what you should look into.

Here is a peak of what your goal should be like:

This doesn't include all the phone calls we get or emails from people that directly email us!

Here is the thing.

All you agents and brokers, are you guys getting 10 leads a day? without marketing without spending a dollar? No? Then how are you going to help buyers/investors that needs leads when you don't even get leads.

Access to MLS is not helping you stand out from anyone. ALL agents have access to the MLS. Both buyers, investors agents AND brokers, need to make sure you are better than your competition.

We put SIGNIFICANT effort to be better than our competitors, 

Be smarter, better looking, have more degrees, have a better website have a better closing rate, get more leads.. anything EVERYTHING. Use what you got and set yourself apart!

Any single one of you that is just going to say "hey I have access to the MLS I can help you" you are one of the million that have the exact same credentials.

Market yourselves people! Stand out. Why would John pick you over the other agent?

In the land of REI the one that has the leads is King/queen

You use a lot of exclamation marks and curious to see how many properties you own/ wholesaled?

All of these internet gurus think they know real estate then have no portfolios themselves. Some validity will be helpful! Thanks in advance and try to show some respect.

1). I am not a guru but it's very flattering you consider me one. Thank you!

2). I don't care if you or anyone believes me.

3). I am doing YOU a favor posting my posts. 

4). I am not going to tell you how many properties I own or how many I flip. That simply is none of your business. 

5). If you so desperately seek validation its easy to get it. Do a Google search for sell my house ct, we buy houses ct, or any related search and check for yourself. 

6). Why is it my job to make you a believer? I honestly don't care one bit if you or anyone believes me... 

Relaaaaxxxxx it's summer man. So angry! Cheer up. If you need help getting similar results I am happy to help you dude!

You are welcome.

@Jerryll Noorden I honestly don't see one useful piece of advice that you've given anyone other than talking down on other members/investors.

If you're here to help, then help.

If you're here to simply promote yourself don't waste our time.

I don't care if you use carrier pigeons to get deals. Spending your time and/or money in real estate is what makes you an investor. Getting educated on the matter is the first step someone should take, and your attitude is not conducive to that environment.

I think you brokers and agents feel that this is a tender spot because it's true. All I see is the second someone wants leads you all jump on people to try to get a listing instead of providing actual help. We are investors. Ideally we are not here to get deals from MLS. I understand you are butthurt but if this gives you a reality check and motivation to step up, Provide value other than "hey I will send you MLS listings" then great. If not it's honestly just your loss. Now find a way to provide real value to people. Showing results and teaching and inspiring others to do things the better way is not promoting. People that see this as promoting simply are selfconcious and feel threatened and your behaviour is a very typical reaction. Sorry but I am not going to stop telling people that really want to make it and succeed to go find leads themselves. If this takes business away from those brokers that rather they don't find leads on their own ... Sorry but not sorry.

There are a lot of haters out there and it just is sad. A lot of you are just too depressed to see there is humor in all my posts. 

Just like cash offers is not for every seller, my posts are not for everyone. What can you do. 

When I reply to people I write pretty much a book explaining every step of the process. Doing this does not benefit me in any way. I explain how to do seo for free. Both in public and in private. Instead of being so negative why don't you just ask me for help dude. It would have been a pleasure to teach you how I do it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you