direct mail referral offer

7 Replies

Hello all! Texas here and i do direct mail and recently i thought about putting "Refer a friend or neighbor and get $1,000 if we buy their house!!!" on my mailer. I am not a licensed realtor and was wondering if what you guys thought about doing something like this or have you done something like this in the past and how did it work out for you?

Haven't seen this tactic get utilized much. Sounds very interesting! I am sure such a thing has already been tried and tested. In any case, I don't see this hurting your chances. Give it a go and keep us updated with the results.

Good Luck! 

@Javier Bocanegra That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I don't know the legality of that, but....

I'll bet that would work well on a mailing to the Seniors with Long-Time Ownership list. If they aren't ready to downsize or transition to assisted living, they probably know someone who is!

Dude this is not magic. This is not some "thing" we can't analize and apply logic to. This is not try something and see if it works.

The idea goes against all that motivated seller leads stands for.

If the quest was to get leads... ANY lead, sure.

Give people the latest 700" Samsung flat screen TV. You will get a ton of leads. But are they motivated? THAT is the question.

It is NOT about getting leads people. It is about getting motivated seller leads. The more you "bribe" to get leads, the less motivated they will be.

Which lead do you think is a better lead... 

A lead I have to pay to fill in the form, or a lead that pays me to please make them on offer on their house.

You need to shift your focus from getting leads to coming up with effective ways to target motivation.

Paying people for every house you closed... what will happen is that people will just find anyone that may or may not sell their house. They will focus on volume, not quality.

Stop with the shortcuts. Put in the leg work and apply a proven system that gets you motivated leads, even if it takes work in the beginning. It will pay off later!

Here are my two cents. I have a real estate broker's license and my understanding is that, at least in Florida, you must have a real estate license to earn a commission on the sale of real estate. I am not a lawyer, and certainly am not giving legal advice, but I would tread carefully here if I were you.

Mitchell Herman

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you