How to find off market properties

17 Replies

Hello All,

Currently I'm working full time and my side investing consists of note investing.  I'm at the very beginning stages of venturing off into multi family rentals.  I've heard a lot about finding deals that are off market.  Now every now and again when I issue a new loan or start a foreclosure related to my note investing, I'll get something mailed to me asking to purchase my loan.

My question for you all is this, How do these people find out my name and address?  I'm sure they get it off public record, but I'm looking for something more specific.  Like a step by step example of how someone does this.  I'm looking to use the same concept for finding properties and mailing out offers to owners.  I'm assuming you can't just mail something to a rental property, as the real owner most likely will not be occupying the facility.

Or if you have any other tips to find off market properties, throw it at me.

Thank you.

Hello Ryan, Welcome. You should go to REI invest club or meet up in your area. You would be surprised how people bring deals after you have build a relationship with them. I went to one today and already someone brought in a REI deal

Originally posted by @Ryan Car:

Hello All,

Currently I'm working full time and my side investing consists of note investing.  I'm at the very beginning stages of venturing off into multi family rentals.  I've heard a lot about finding deals that are off market.  Now every now and again when I issue a new loan or start a foreclosure related to my note investing, I'll get something mailed to me asking to purchase my loan.

My question for you all is this, How do these people find out my name and address?  I'm sure they get it off public record, but I'm looking for something more specific.  Like a step by step example of how someone does this.  I'm looking to use the same concept for finding properties and mailing out offers to owners.  I'm assuming you can't just mail something to a rental property, as the real owner most likely will not be occupying the facility.

Or if you have any other tips to find off market properties, throw it at me.

Thank you.

Property owner information is listed on the website of your county auditor.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
Thank you for your responses.  James Wise, I am able to find who the owner of the property is on the Assessor or Auditor Controller's property search, but it does not show the owners address.  I do know that the grant deeds do have the owner's address on that document, but if you search the assessor website, they do not allow you to see those documents.  The assessor usually states you need to go down to their office to see the document.  So I'm wondering if there is a way around this when traveling to their office isn't possible.

Anyone use any third party companies to look up this info?  I also noticed Zillow gives a lot more info now when it comes to foreclosures. For example, I'm in the process of two foreclosures and I noticed Zillow has the original loan amount and even the past due payment amount on the loans on their website that they somehow got from when my foreclosure company recorded the documents.

Thank you for your responses.  James Wise, I am able to find who the owner of the property is on the Assessor or Auditor Controller's property search, but it does not show the owners address.  I do know that the grant deeds do have the owner's address on that document, but if you search the assessor website, they do not allow you to see those documents.  The assessor usually states you need to go down to their office to see the document.  So I'm wondering if there is a way around this when traveling to their office isn't possible.

Anyone use any third party companies to look up this info?  I also noticed Zillow gives a lot more info now when it comes to foreclosures. For example, I'm in the process of two foreclosures and I noticed Zillow has the original loan amount and even the past due payment amount on the loans on their website that they somehow got from when my foreclosure company recorded the documents.

You can either get your real estate license and you'll be able to access that information through the MLS you sign up for. Or I have heard investors have had some success using a company called ListSource. Note that I have also heard ListSource sometimes has some outdated data. Really no substitute to the data you can access by being an agent on the MLS.

Thank you for the information James.  I'll look in to getting my real estate license.

Ryan,

I will do you one better.

Instead of you finding off market properties, how about letting these off market properties find YOU?

The difference... not because the property is off market they will want to sell. In fact obviously if they are not listed it is more likely they do NOT want to sell.

Here is a sample of my off market properties looking for ME to buy their house.

It is not a super crazy amount of leads, but, they are super motivated, 100% free, and they come in daily (while I am on vacation in Orlando).

SEO is my secret. You do NOT have to hire anyone to do this. I am not hiring anyone and I can do it. You absolutely can too!

It REALLY is worth taking seriously!

@Ryan Car - Unlike what people have said above, what you can find at county websites varies tremendously by state and by county. Some are great, some are terrible, but none are very efficient at helping you build a marketing list. If you value your time you'll end up using a 3rd party service that collects, collates, cleans, appends, etc the base public records data into something usable.

Ownership and characteristics (beds, baths, etc) are sourced from county assessor offices. Sales, mortgages and foreclosure data is sourced from the county recorder office. Some of us also append other data like demographics (age, gender, etc), phone, email or even social media profiles.

While it certainly doesn't hurt to do SEO and cast your message in a bottle onto the sea of a billion websites, the VERY BEST THING about this business is that, thanks to public records, you can know the owner of every potential deal by name, and you can target them directly. How successful you'll be at that, depends mostly on what you have to offer. Reaching them is not the problem

Originally posted by @Sean OToole:

@Ryan Car - Unlike what people have said above, what you can find at county websites varies tremendously by state and by county. Some are great, some are terrible, but none are very efficient at helping you build a marketing list. If you value your time you'll end up using a 3rd party service that collects, collates, cleans, appends, etc the base public records data into something usable.

Ownership and characteristics (beds, baths, etc) are sourced from county assessor offices. Sales, mortgages and foreclosure data is sourced from the county recorder office. Some of us also append other data like demographics (age, gender, etc), phone, email or even social media profiles.

While it certainly doesn't hurt to do SEO and cast your message in a bottle onto the sea of a billion websites, the VERY BEST THING about this business is that, thanks to public records, you can know the owner of every potential deal by name, and you can target them directly. How successful you'll be at that, depends mostly on what you have to offer. Reaching them is not the problem

See Mr. OToole, let me counter you for a sec here...

See when you say "Cast your message in a bottle onto a billion websites"...  

Tell me again billion of websites? There is only ONE obvious choice! Us!

See.. let me show you the true power of SEO

So like the bald freaky kid said in the matrix.. there is no spoon.

Now this freaky hairy kid on BP (ME) will say.. there is no competition.

There is no billion websites.. there is ONLY me!

Here is the proof:

See, if this worked for one week and then it stopped... sure doubt it. But this has been working for 2 years for me already. NONE STOP. Free daily leads violating my poor little email account! This is not opinion, this is not deduction, this is not "I think..".. this is facts. Numbers. Data! Period. There is no room to argue, or to disagree. See people fear SEO because they think it is a myth. Well shame on them!

Keep in mind your traffic will not go through 20 pages of results to pick one. They will look at the FIRST THREE results and pick one.

So that "billion" of website statement is an illusion.

And the fineprint is. Yes you CAN do SEO all yourself. You do NOT have to pay anyone. I did it myself, you can too! There is NO need to pay anyone to get leads.

Sure you absolutely can if you do not want to deal with it, but it is a choice. You do not HAVE to!

Hope this changes your mindset a bit and be open to other strategies. Who knows, these other strategies may work FAR better than you could have possibly imagine!

;)

@Jerryll Noorden I agree that SEO can work if you are really good at it (sounds like you are - congrats), can find relevant keywords that sellers actually use in searches, and you have no strong competition for those keywords in your market. Plus you have to be in a market where lots of sellers are actively searching for your keywords in order for it to be worthwhile.

I'd bet you a steak dinner this is working for you because you are in a large market with enough market distress to create the search volume you show.

For most, I'm confident in my statement that it is a hope and prey, "message in a bottle" upon a sea of billions of websites, approach compared to simply using public records to find the name, address and property details for any property owner you want. The SEO approach, no matter how good you are, is always limited to whether people search for your keywords or not, and whether google shows them your message or someone else's based on their algorithm of the day.

@Jerryll Noorden I agree that SEO can work if you are really good at it (sounds like you are - congrats), can find relevant keywords that sellers actually use in searches, and you have no strong competition for those keywords in your market. Plus you have to be in a market where lots of sellers are actively searching for your keywords in order for it to be worthwhile.

I'd bet you a steak dinner this is working for you because you are in a large market with enough market distress to create the search volume you show.

For most, I'm confident in my statement that it is a hope and prey, "message in a bottle" upon a sea of billions of websites, approach compared to simply using public records to find the name, address and property details for any property owner you want. The SEO approach, no matter how good you are, is always limited to whether people search for your keywords or not, and whether google shows them your message or someone else's based on their algorithm of the day.

OHHH no you di-int!! It is war buster!

Sure I am Good at SEO... but you know what else? It is not just me being good at it. It is LITERALLY everyone else is just bad at it. They are all doing it completely wrong.

How is it that I rank FAR above everyone else? That my leads coming in are far above the norm in quantity and quality (as far as I know at least). I simply cracked the code. I have a proven formula that simply works! Period. I am convinced I can rank anyone #1 no matter the competition. Now back to you..

OK EVERY single point you made is completely wrong. I am not kidding nor exaggerating. 

I rank #1 for ALL keywords (I want to rank for) and for the MOST competitive keywords.

Then,

if you tell me that sellers are not going online to look for ways to sell their house, .. well that is the same as you telling me that sellers do not try to find agents to list their house on the MLS. And that is obviously ridiculous.

Even the MLS is ONLINE. Is there a version of the traditional seller using an agent without going online? So is there an offline version of Zillow? So that point is totally wrong.

Then..

I wouldn't call it "hope and prey". Again. look at the numbers. Look at the leads coming in. There is nothing to hope and pray for. It is coming in for 2 years day in day out.

So I have NO IDEA where you base your claims on. You are pulling  these claims out of thin air. For 2 years have I been harvesting leads every day, from keywords competitive or not.

But if you want to take that route, then it is ALWAYS some sort of hope and pray no?

Even if someone needs to sell their house and you know this for a fact and you walk up to them phisically, you still have to "hope and prey" they will like you or trust you enough to sell to you.

You need to hope and prey they will accept your offer.

You need to hope and prey, they didn't already sign a contract with someone else

You need to hope and prey that.. [fill anything you want here].

Yes I can ALWAYS find a reason why something wil NOT happen.

But here is the fact of life.

over 90% of people will turn to internet to find a solution to their problem. That means I will be chosen before anyone even knows about them because they are first to know if they have a problem, before anything or anyone else.

Nope... relevant keywords has nothing to do with it? Again want proof?

Sure thing:

Not once did I use the keyphrase "best looking house cash buyers in CT". Also not once did I use  How to get cash for your house in CT"

And..

For that same search .. why in heavens name would Google put my name at the bottom of the list for suggested searches?

People that don't know much about SEO say exactly what you are saying.

Ohh you need special keywords.

WRONG!!

There is something called Google trust and search intent.

See Google is a lot smarter now than it was before.

WHY would I rank for pretty much ALL and ANY keywords in our niche without me having them on the site?

Well.. it is called search intent. When someone searches for "sell house fast forclosure", Google knows that this person wants to sell their house fast because of foreclosure..

And (here is where Google trust comes to play)... Google knows exactly what my website is about and they know I am the best choice... and they put my site first!
How does Google know I am the best choice?

Because my metrics are 1000% higher than my nearest "competitor" With 30 leads a week and a time on page between 8 and 11 minutes, google ABSOLUTELY knows there is no one in CT better than my website. And my website will always be first.

Adtionally.. even if I never even mentioned the above...

Keywords is not some mysterious entity you would need to guess. No dude. You can EASILY find out EXACTLY what people type to find services like ours. So your point there also is a moot point. :)

And then to add the icing on the cake.

With SEO there is no money spent, list research, marketing KPI's I don't need to skip trace I don;t need to "prey and hope" they are motivated.

I LITERALLY do nothing.. NOTHING and the leads flow in.

How is there ANY argument here. Now if you tell me "Hey man, I don;t care how inferior my method is, I WANT to do it my way" OK. Nothing to say.. but to tell me or anyone there is a better way than SEO? sorry mate.. you are simply wrong! It is nothing personal. A personal opinion you can have. But argue the facts... not going to happen!

FYI, SEO works FAR better and faster in a small market. And Connecticut definitely is not a "Large" market. Try Texas THAT is a large market and I have  clients that are CRUSHING it from my SEO strategies. In big and small markets. 

So really...

up to you, but I think you owe me a steak dinner.

Look I see this countless of times. Someone wants to promote their services and then tries to belittle a strategy because they favor an other. But as you can see, I show numbers. I show proof. There is no arguing this. You can not beat SEO No matter what you say or try.

As long as you can not find super motivated seller leads for free without any effort, or annoyance.. you just can't beat SEO!

@Jerryll Noorden You're welcome for the opportunity to make your pitch. ;-) Caveat emptor.

Dude I just want my steak. I don't mess with food!

We should team up and see if we can learn from each others methods, and we can all improve our craft!

@Jerryll Noorden On the steak, let's pick a market we agree on and see if you can do the same there. I'm a man of my word and will send a porterhouse your way. https://www.omahasteaks.com/product/Private-Reserve%AE-Porterhouse-Steaks-%2B-Seasoning-58972.

Hahah man I love the attitude. How about you order a shirley temple and enjoy it on my behalf. And we call it even. I do want a picture of you holding it! If you ever need help with SEO let me help you. I know you dont need it but the offer is there! I mean it! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you