Mailer and postcard compliance

6 Replies

If you are doing a mailer to purchase homes cash and are a licensed real estate agent what disclosures/or wording do you use to make sure you are in compliance? I'm a full time Realtor in Florida and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

@Ashley Herring, I would contact your local board and ask for sure, but in Colorado, the Real Estate Commission rules require you make it obvious, on any promo or advertising materials, who the broker is, in addition to you (as agent, or licensee), who can also be on the mailpiece, e.g., ReMax Advantage, Ashley Herring, Associate Broker, then your contact info.

Beyond that, to avoid commission rules concerning an infraction called, "Sign Crossing," (a rule in Colorado) you should have a disclosure printed on the mailpiece that resembles the following:  "If your property is currently listed, please disregard this advertisement."

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Ashley Herring

In Colorado, it matters a great deal.  I have to disclose the fact I am licensed, because if I do a deal where this was not disclosed and something happens that finds it's way into court, it will be discovered and you could lose your license, or at min be fined, censured, suspended, or some combination thereof.  I seriously doubt this is any different in your state, but to be sure, you should contact your Real Estate Commission (or equivalent) and find out.

The question I have is why you might want to hide the fact you are a licensed agent?  Would it not be easier and more credible to advertise the fact you are, including all the training you receive, continuing education, code of ethics, and all that goes with it, to make yourself appear a better solution than many "We Buy Houses" guys who do not have such scrutiny bearing down on them?

You must disclose your name, and the name of your brokerage. This applies even if you intend to purchase the property for yourself. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you