New home construction in Houston

5 Replies

@Jeremy Hicks Define "work with investors." That's going to be the catch, I suspect. Builders won't give you a deal because you're an investor; to them you're simply another customer - likely one who's more concerned about price than anything else.

You might be able to work out a deal where the builder shares in the profits at sale in exchange for a lower margin on the construction, or some other funky profit-sharing arrangement, but I wouldn't lead with that offer unless it's an especially juicy deal.

I'd start by hiring a guy you feel comfortable with and then building a relationship. Show him you're reasonable, trustworthy, and interested in building a mutually profitable partnership, and you'll have a valuable team member that can help you in lots of ways beyond just building new houses.

I agree with @Andrew Taylor. I have a builder that I work with on investment deals, but I am not asking him to cut deals. I have a builder I can trust to make sure I meet my goals for the project. He makes money, and I make money. 

Agree with everyone else. I’ve spoken to a few builders to build on lots, and none of them are ever willing to discount their product because it’s an investment property. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you