1 simple method proven to boost your response rate

8 Replies

I was talking to a new client last week, and she was telling me about the conversion rate she was getting on a landing page her and her team had created for their business. The reason we were talking was because she wanted me to improve it for her.

"We're getting good traffic from our Facebook ads," She said, They come to a lead generation squeeze page where they put in their name and email and get a free report. That's converting pretty well... but from there to the actual sales page, we're losing them."

So I went through the funnel myself... the ads were good, and that was born out by her CTR (click through rate). The squeeze page was compelling and I think the free report, which was a 6 page whitepaper analyzing the amount of money being lost through improper dental billing practices, was of interest to her prospects.

Then I took a look at her email sequence and even the final sales page. they were ok, but all lacking one vital ingredient...

The call to action or CTA!

For many folks, sales is a 4 letter word. I think that comes from the stereotypical picture we have of the pushy and obnoxious salesman who just won't take no for an answer... or maybe the sort of "snake oil" approach that many internet marketers take. More hype than substance.

But sales isn't a dirty word. It's how we all make money and how many of us find out about things we want and need. And the fact is that if you want somebody to do something for you... you have to ask them!

Even more than that, you have to tell them what to do and how to do it. Fail to do that and you'll be amazed at how poorly your marketing functions.

Is this true in real estate investing? Most definitely. Some of the best direct mail pieces, for instance, are simple such as:

The market is hot, prices have never been higher - I've got cash and I'm ready to buy - so call me now for a free estimate: XXXXX.

not particularly suave or clever. Just straight to the point and above all, this message tells the reader exactly what to do and why to do it.

One more little note, although this post is hardly the entire word on this subject... not only should you have a clear CTA, you can improve it simply by adding a benefit to the call. For instance, look at these two CTA's:

Sell your house today - Call me now at XXX.

I can make you a solid offer in just 15 minutes on the phone - so find out how easy it is to turn that headache property into cold hard cash - call now at: XXX

Both of these messages say the same thing. yet the second makes the benefit to the seller clear. There are actually 2 benefits here... it's easy, it's fast and you get paid... okay 3 benefits :)

So the next time you're putting together a marketing piece... ask for exactly what you want and how you want it. You'll be amazed at the results. My client, for example, has gone from a .05% conversion rate on her sales page to over 5% just from this single adjustment alone.

How about you guys? Share some of your best CTA's. I'll bet there are some good ones out there!

Happy investing!

1) "Sales" is a 5 letter word! Ahhh I am soo funny...

2) Yes you are right, a CTA is great. I completely agree with you: Straight to the point simple and short is better.

here is my thing though...

And please don't get me wrong. I think what you have said is a brilliant deduction and a way to improve results.

Here is what I am struggling with.

So lets say you have to be in CA and you are in NY, and you desperately need to get there in 2 days. So you find a bike, and look at it and say.. that will never get me there in 2 days. So you bust your head thinking how you will make it happen so you buy a 3K motor for that bike so it will go faster, so now it is dangerous so you need to add a seat belt and  by the end of that adventure you have something so ugly looking heavy so inefficient...  why didn't he just  buy a ticket, a car, go by train.. 

I never understood why people just force things even if it is just not efficient, simply because they don't welcome change or actual improvement.

So... to solve any problem in engineering...

take a few more steps back. Look at the bigger picture. What is the ultimate goal here? To get more leads right? Yes that, and also more MOTIVATED leads.

People are investing SO MUCH MONEY in ads to get "measly" results compared to the money they put into it, compared to other strategies.

Sure indeed, compare paid marketing to paid marketing, but that is not how things work.

Compare strategies to strategies. This is mixed martial arts. No one said you can only compare paid advertising to paid advertising. this is a free for all. Every strategy needs to wage brutal war against the other to determine which strategies (or the combination of each, which becomes a new strategy, thus still a strategy, simply is the strongest).

Look at my numbers for example:

Look at the quality of these leads:

Or...

These people need to sell NOW!!!! NOOOOOOOWWWWW!!

These leads were free. I get so many of them, I spend no money energy or effort in figuring out what works and what doesn. The call to action needs to be Green, No yellow, No it needs to be centered no on the bottom of the page, it needs to say this, No it needs to say that.

None of that.

I care about being credible. Done. Everything else will fall into place.

See here is the equation I have developed:

DEALS = Traffic + Conversion

Now this equation applies to everything.

Any kind of traffic, what ever the methods you use to convert traffic.

So it is still very general.

So lets  make it more specific.

Deals = SEO + Credibility

Much better: 

My weapon of choice for traffic = SEO

My weapon of choice for conversion = Credibility

So My traffic is relatively free free, my credibility is free.

Do you think if people go to such great lengths to find me online and they see we are THE solution for them... do you really think they will not fill in the form just because the CTA is blue? or at the bottom of the page instead of at the top?

These people spent between 8 and 12 minutes on my website. 

From MY data, if you were to draw conclusions evaluating how everyone is doing marketing, everyone is doing it wrong. Seriously.

All these "landing pages", remove all the links, only allow the CTA, is WRONG!!!

So what is the average marketer telling the seller....

Give me your address NOW, but I am not going to tell you who I am, what I do with the information, what I look like,  or any information anyone would NEED to trust you enough to give their information.

Sure there are always people that don't care and fill it in.

But do you really think granny Margaret will be happy to give you her address living alone without the ability to browse your "about us " page? Without more info on you?

CTA means NOTHING without credibility!

And no mailer and no landing page can give you as much credibility as a full blown website can.

And I am not just blowing hot air...

This goes on every day every month every year, without pause without interruption without any money spent.

I just don;t understand how much convincing investors need to open their eyes and realize what the hell are they doing.
Investors are among the MOST stubborn and egotistic people i have ever seen. It is crazy!

If I was struggling with leads and I see this crazy Ape showing his crazy results all over the place, I would be INSTANTLY convinced that I may be doing it wrong....

I don't know man... maybe it's just me...

But everyone is over-complicating their strategies.

DEALS = TRAFFIC + CONVERSION

Period. Start there!

Originally posted by @Account Closed You provide a lot of graphics and some interesting points-  My first question is 

How big is your portfolio? Assuming you only own say a modest number of 20 units can we assume that your numbers are actually terrible. Say you ONLY own 20 units out of the 1,000 leads you get a day that means you are converting at what?

What is your personal conversion rates say on 100 of your leads? 

You make a weak point (sorry).

What I do with said leads has nothing to do whether or not my method of GETTING these HIGHLY motivated leads work.

Lets say I really don't own a single house. Let's say I live on the street with my laptop.

So? I am obviously getting very motivated seller leads right? yup I showed proof of that. So why are you trying so hard to prove me wrong, when your attempts to do so are completely irrelevant.

Lets say I absolutely suck at converting these HIGHLY motivated seller leads into deals. That is on me! I may suck at it. But does that mean my lead generation methods are wrong? or not working? No! Lead generation, SEO, DMM, CC, Driving for dollars is just that... ways to GET the leads. It is still up to the person to close these deals and this has nothing to do with the methods of getting these leads which obviously work.

OK ok you win... I will prove you wrong dude,  but only because you keep begging for it...

Lead comes in:

We bought the house for $41K and some change.

We put about $35K? into it.

We received an all cash over asking price within 17 hours of listing it. We accepted the offer and then the buyer became paranoid. SO offer fell through.

a day after we received an other offer above asking price again, (150K) but not in cash.

During:

AFTER:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11-Devonwood-Dr-Waterbury-CT-06708/58012898_zpid/

Flip lasted 2 months I think. Was supposed to be only 5 weeks...

Profit will probably be high 50K - low 60K

We get a ton of these kind of leads and we cherry pick because .. well we can!

Interesting - didn't expect a war over a point which wasn't even part of the post :)

This concept is about calling for action, regardless of marketing methods. Jerryll's SEO approach is obviously working, which is great - yet this was more about the concept of persuasion in it's general form. Credibility is yet another topic, and an important one - because without it, nobody will heed your call to action anyway.

But that's a topic for another post, I think. How about you guys?

Originally posted by @Scott W. Cook :

Interesting - didn't expect a war over a point which wasn't even part of the post :)

This concept is about calling for action, regardless of marketing methods. Jerryll's SEO approach is obviously working, which is great - yet this was more about the concept of persuasion in it's general form. Credibility is yet another topic, and an important one - because without it, nobody will heed your call to action anyway.

But that's a topic for another post, I think. How about you guys?

Sorry about hat my friend.

I wanted to ask you. I want to learn more about your expertise. I am constantly trying to  perfect the system and you really are good at what you do. Lets combine knowledge and develop something even better than just DMM, CTA or SEO.

I would love to know more about how you increase conversion with out of the box methods like you have mentioned.

Well, Jerryll, I'm a copywriter - persuasion is my primary job. It's basically selling through writing, and it's an ongoing study in human psychology.

As you mentioned, lead generation is just one part - it's still up to us to sell when that phone rings or that email dings :)

Originally posted by @Scott W. Cook :

Well, Jerryll, I'm a copywriter - persuasion is my primary job. It's basically selling through writing, and it's an ongoing study in human psychology.

As you mentioned, lead generation is just one part - it's still up to us to sell when that phone rings or that email dings :)

I need a few of you!

I will reach out to you if you don't mind?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you