Are referral request letters a workable angle for investors also?

1 Reply

I know these are solid for agents as people don't instantly think to refer a friend to their agent who sold their last house with perfect consistency. It is less clear to me if investors would also benefit from this. 

Say you compile a list of people who contact you about buying their house in a distressed situation. Some result in you buying from them, most do not. But it's still a fairly narrow list. Would you guys continue mailing this list say every quarter, to see if they have friends they could refer who are in a similar situation?

@Sean D -- Years ago, when I purchased properties directly from home owners, my team had a referral package to hand people.  We also had a credibility package (testimonials, asked for referrals, books/reports, etc) we provided people when we visited their home to make an offer. We also asked for referrals from people who's homes we bought.  Below is an example of a script or letter you can use:

Dear {name}

It’s been a pleasure working with you.  I don’t know if you realize this but about 30% of our business does not get here the way that you have. You responded to our {phone call/Letter}.

30% of our business comes from people telling their friends, their neighbors and their family about us. But you know I never want to put anyone in that position. It’s kind of awkward.

So I’m going to make it easy. Here are two copies of a {free report/book} on selling your home. If it ever comes up with friends or family members or neighbors and you’re talking about real estate or home selling just give them these {reports/books} and say these are the people that we like and trust.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you