Is Massachusetts a good market for wholesaling?

6 Replies

@Desha Charles  I'd argue that any market is a good market for wholesaling. Something is always selling cheaper than the average, you just have to find where that something is. 

I think you want to know if it is easy in MA - which I don't have an answer for, but I do know that generally wholesaling is not something that you find success in overnight. It takes time, systems, trial and error and persistence. Multiple touches is what's needed here, with the exception to the lucky break here and there. 

@Filipe Pereira thank you for your insight! I am staying realistic about things and know there is no overnight success or magic formula. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and build my network. I also know MA is an expensive R.E. market, so I'm debating whether or not to stay local or get creative in other places.

@Desha Charles I am a new wholesaler in Massachusetts as well and I think the biggest challenge to wholesaling here is that the market is expensive. For that reason, you need to pick your market with some thought. Western mass is cheaper and there is opportunity for growth there with people fleeing the higher priced markets in Eastern Mass. However, I am starting out in the Cape because I know cash buyers there. The Cape is challenging because property values are so high, but I view that as an opportunity since many will avoid the area due to the high prices. Wherever you pick, you need to dive into that market and learn everything you can about the area: What drives property values? What are the zoning laws? Who are investors operating in the area?

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to provide value to both the cash buyer and the property owner. The price that works for the investor needs to help the homeowner who is selling the property. Wholesaling is a niche solution for property owners with specific needs that prevent them from selling traditionally. If the price that makes the property a good deal does not work for the homeowner or they would be better served by a real estate agent, refer them to someone who will provide the most value to them.

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

@Desha Charles @Michael Timson Im a local Wholeseller/flipper in Western Mass but I would like to start doing deals in Eastern Mass. I lived in the North Shore for a couple years so I'm familiar with the market. If you guys need any help feel free to reach out to me. I would also start watching Max Maxwell on YouTube he's a great resource on how to do this business but be careful with people selling you courses.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you