Investment property financing

3 Replies

I own two duplexes in Utah and decided to sell one. I am using a 1031 exchange and am in contract to buy an investment property. Because it is more than 4 units I need a commercial loan. The contract is for $397,000 and I have $125,000 from my 1031.

I am having the hardest time finding a commercial lender because only 2 of the 10 units are rented out because the owners don't want to do it any more. In a month the property will be producing positive cash flow and in three months the property will be producing $3000 a month cash flow.

I could get approved for this in a second if it was a house because I have a stable income, great credit, and a low debt to income ratio. But I am finding that no commercial lenders will lend to me because it’s not producing cash flow right away. 

What do I do? 

@Jocelyn Kaufman , Wow! That seems like an amazing deal you have found. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer for the a bank that will for sure lend on it, but once I personally passed on an amazing opportunity to rehab a property because of financing and I still regret it. I could have done it with a hard money loan or exploring other options, but I honestly didn't think of it at the time. So, I would recommend to keep exploring commercial lending options, but also be open to the idea of either a hard money loan or bringing in a partner to cover the rest. Best of luck!

All,  listen to me carefully.

Flipping houses in not just a niche. It is a strategy.

You HAVE to flip houses to keep some serious capital coming in. Even if you don't like flipping, just flip as a means to buy B&H (I STILL can't see how buying houses and holding them is a wise choice.. but hey... it's your choice).

When you flip, you will always have capital to do what the hell you want ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you