Looking to move to Texas

19 Replies

@Jaime Martinez Jr . Really depends upon what you are looking for / desire to pursue. 

Are you interested in Urban, Suburban or Rural?

Does the idea of Big city lights seem more appealing, than quiet country towns?

Lots to choose from - possibly need to focus on determining What You Want to Achieve?

I'm happy to talk if that's beneficial to you. DM me off list.

@Jim Cummings

I would prefer to live in the city If possible and affordable. I enjoy going out to restaurants and bars on occasions.

But I also want to purchase something affordable so that I can still produce some sort of cash flow by renting out other units/bedrooms.

@Jaime Martinez Jr . Sounds like the Metro areas around DFW, Austin, San Antonio or Houston would be best landing spots. There are surrounding towns near each that would be more economical than living in the downtown urban areas.

Good luck and welcome to Texas Yall! 

I've lived in Dallas and Austin. I prefer Austin out of the two, but that's my personal opinion.  San Antonio and Houston are great to visit, too, and (broad generalization) a bit less expensive to be close to 'downtown'.  If you come to Austin, hit me up and I'll be happy to show you around and I'm an agent so I could help you find a place to live too.

@Jaime Martinez Jr Texas is a massive state and the major metros are all very different. If you haven't visited before, I would not make any decisions until you take a visit and check them out. You'll get a very different feel in each one. I'm biased towards Austin and San Antonio, but so is the world at the moment it seems. Visit first, then narrow down to a market. Welcome to Texas!

If you're looking to move to the city you'll want to chose either DFW area or San Antonio.

I've lived in San Antonio my whole life and we've seen massive growth in population and businesses over the past 5 years, as well as pretty astounding appreciation numbers just about every side of town. San Antonio is second fastest growing city in the country, right behind Phoenix. It's a big city but you can get to one end from another in 30 minutes.

I can't speak for DFW but I know there's a qualified Dallas resident somewhere in here that can help you!

I hope this helps.

I moved from SoCal to Houston almost 3 years ago to do the same! I love Houston and think it's a great market for opportunity and investing. Feel free to message me with any specific questions!

@Jaime Martinez Jr

Texas prices are cheap compared to CA but you will pay very high property taxes.

DFW, San Antonio, and Austin are all booming.

DFW is very large. I can point out some areas that are probably not on most people’s radar depending on what your budget is.

First off congratulations, moving to a great state and what we are now happy to call home. All four of the main cities are great places to relocate to and have varying pros/cons. Houston / SA more affordable, Austin with the more trendy "vibe" and hill country, etc. Any of those choices will be great places to live and you can niche down into a market for real estate.

@Jaime Martinez Jr

I would move to DFW. Not as expensive as Austin, but massive growth with not enough housing. I like the Arlington or Grand Prairie area. It’s affordable, central and close to major freeways going all directions.

I would suggest finding work first, then make the purchase.   Austin is a great place to live, but getting expensive now.  Probably most of the other big cities have options.   Rent for a year to get the lay of the land and options near where you work.  Most of the cities are pretty big, so for example in DFW you probably would not want to work in let's say McKinney, but buy a house in SW Ft. Worth if you have to go to the office every day.   Just too far of a drive, especially with $3/gal gas around the corner.

@Jaime Martinez Jr You have received great advise already. 

You need to narrow it down to your top 2 cities, then do the pros and cons and go for the city that matches your situation/life-style.

Goodluck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you