We just purchased a duplex from an auction. Everything has gone smoothly so far. The closing was fast and seamless. We bought the duplex knowing they were tenants that have not been paying. One unit is occupied by a couple. When the property went in foreclosure they moved their adult daughter, her two children and her boyfriend in the other unit. They have not paid rent and also the water bill in months.
We met the tenants and introduced ourselves as the new owners. We offered them a lease (they kept the place in good shape and it only needs minor repairs). We offered them a month to month lease (50 dollars a month more than they were paying with the previous owner and catching up on the water bill) plus a security deposit contingent upon meeting our criteria: clean background check and showing proof of income).The daughter said she could not afford it because she just got a job. The father said he would think about it and give us an answer the next day. Today is the next day and he did not call.
We told them that if they decided that they could not stay they will have 10 days to vacate the premises. (neither one of them had leases at this point).
We are thinking if we don't hear from them by tomorrow to start the eviction process as they may just be dragging their feet to buy more time. I have contacted a company called Evictions Plus and they said they could start the process.
If anyone has any input on this or has gone through this before please advice.