Oren Yehezkely
Pro Member
Votes |
Seller wants cash only but closing day is 4 more than 4 months aw

Oren Yehezkely
Pro Member
Posted May 17 2022, 11:16

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a condo in Miami. The condo is rented but is offered for sale now (cash only).

The closing will not be before the end of the lease which is in September.

First, I am not clear why the seller wants to sell it now so far ahead of the closing date. Any ideas about his strategy?
Second, he is asking for a 20% down. Would you do that?

Thanks for your input.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied May 18 2022, 05:45

@Oren Yehezkely maybe he  is  banking on the market  going down. Maybe he doesn't  want  to be left  with an unrented condo in the fall.  He  wants 20% in earnest money to ensure you  can close the deal.  You need  to be quite careful on terms of  any deposit   return given the   size of  the deposit and make sure if  this is a  good deal before committing that  much over that  long   a   time.   I would be inclined  to put delivered vacant  in the  agreement too if you decide  to  move forward.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 18 2022, 06:54

People are constantly buying and selling real estate. There are endless motives behind somebody wanting to sell, so we can't get too hung up on why he wants to get a contract now.

Everything can be negotiated. If you want to close sooner, propose a sooner closing date. If you want to put less than 20% down, propose putting less than 20% down.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes