Kristin Riker
Pro Member
Votes |
NY Letter of intent/title search

Kristin Riker
Pro Member
Posted Nov 8 2022, 05:57

Hello,

I am looking to make an offer on an off property house in NY.  House is abandoned, boarded up but had to do quite a bit of digging and finally got in touch with trustee who said to make an offer and he will present it to his client.  I contacted previous home owner who stated he has "nothing to do with that house".  

My question would be when does the title search happen? Before I submit my letter of intent or after (and if) they accept but before going into contract?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 8 2022, 06:13

Hey Kristin, 

Most deeds should be recorded and it public information which can be found online on the county clerk website. That would be a good place to start. 

I would recommend reaching out to a local title company and seeing what information they can get for you and how much it will cost. 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 8 2022, 13:55

Hey @Kristin Riker - as far as I know, title search is typically ordered through your attorney & title company. This happens once you're under contract and both parties have agreed to conditions and closing date. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 14:05

Happens after you get under contract, make sure you're presenting the offer to the right person and that you're giving funds to an appropriate party. 

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Riker
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 8 2022, 18:05

@Lien Vuong Thank you, its been a maze trying to find the right person to present this offer to. 

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne Player
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York City / Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York City / Long Island, NY
Replied Nov 11 2022, 06:07

Your attorney orders your title.  If you need attorney referrals for Long Island, feel free to message me.  Good luck