Votes |
Porters Neck Road, Wilmington NC

Nicole S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Posted Nov 24 2022, 08:16

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment.

Purchase price: $242,000
Cash invested: $80,000
Sale price: $305,000

The house was built in 1985 and needed updating. It was a 3 bed / 2 bath. I updated to a 3/3 and opened the kitchen/dining area. At the time I listed it for sale, hurricane Florence came through Wilmington. A tree fell on the back part of the house, so I sunk more money into the repair. Unfortunately, I had to take a hit on my profits because of this act of nature. In the end, it was fun fixing it up and a great experience!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

It was my first investment property. Unfortunately, I got too emotionally attached and added high-end finishings (like marble in the bathrooms, spa-like walk-in shower in the master, new cabinets in the kitchen, etc, etc.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I used a local realtor that I had used for another property to buy it but I found the house myself. I had moved to the area and rented a house nearby.

How did you finance this deal?

FHA loan.

What was the outcome?

It was a loss in the end but a great learning experience.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Only add finishings that will help increase value (but not too high-end for the neighborhood). This house should have been a fix and hold, not a fix and flip. I should have rented it out but I was not knowledgeable enough to find quality renters.

Loading replies...