Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Duplex cash coooowww! Many lessons learned.

Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Nov 25 2022, 20:33

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $84,500
Cash invested: $3,200

Duplex, 1/1 and 2/1. First MF investment property. Started with Section 8 tenants in both units. Learned it was not a good fit for me due to delinquencies and lack of care and pride of renting. Cleared them out and renovated property to "bullet proof" condition. Long term rental on 1/1 and STR on 2/1. ZERO vacancies. Net cash flow of $1,800/mth. Paid off in 15 years. Will 1031 once appreciation schedule is exhausted.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Interested in cash floowing property located in a great neighborhood and close to amenities and conveniences.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found this through one of my web clients who was a funeral home owner. These are great leads BTW to find great estate deals.

How did you finance this deal?

15 yr mortgage

How did you add value to the deal?

Renovations and bullet proofing it. Zero vacancies.

What was the outcome?

One of my cash cows in my portfolio. Paid off in 15 years with minimal down payment for this deal. "Mailbox money"!!!

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Was originally sold on Section 8 tenants as "guaranteed income". Yes on the guaranteed income but pride of rentership was not there. Tenants trashed the property. Kicked them out, renovated and updated property and greatly improved my tenant screening process. This lead to 300% return with minimal headaches. Still driving market rent in my market for this property ;-)

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I bought this property on my own. Learned a lot. Always rely on the local real estate market Realtor who is also an investor for your investments!

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Radziszewski
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 27 2022, 07:42

@Qui Chau- Love to see it! Hands down agree with working with an investor focused real estate agent, a definite game changer. 

User Stats

Votes
Leo R.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 27 2022, 12:01

@Qui Chau awesome numbers--congrats!

I'm curious--where did you find a duplex for 84k?   (it says you're in Austin, but $84k sounds like an impossibly low purchase price for Austin...though, I'm not an expert on that market).

What grade was the property before your reno, and what grade is it now?  ...also, what grade is the neighborhood?

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Olmstead
  • Kapolei, HI
Votes |
  • Kapolei, HI
Replied Nov 27 2022, 12:08

@Qui Chau   congrats on a great deal!  Can you share what you did to "bullet proof" the property?  Thank you for sharing.

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 27 2022, 16:32
Quote from @Leo R.:

@Qui Chau awesome numbers--congrats!

I'm curious--where did you find a duplex for 84k?   (it says you're in Austin, but $84k sounds like an impossibly low purchase price for Austin...though, I'm not an expert on that market).

What grade was the property before your reno, and what grade is it now?  ...also, what grade is the neighborhood?

Thanks!

@Leo R. It's not in the Austin, TX market. Grade of property prior to reno was decent (approx C+/B-). Currently at B grade or so. Neighborhood is B-.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Olmstead
  • Kapolei, HI
Votes |
  • Kapolei, HI
Replied Nov 27 2022, 18:02

@Qui Chau   congrats on a great deal!  Can you share what you did to "bullet proof" the property?  Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, I did not catch in the original post that you are selling a mentor course.  Sorry for the question as I did not realize it was an ad for your course. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:08

@Qui Chau nothing you're doing is "secret". You disgust me coming onto a free site sneaking around trying to sell your mentor course. Get off of here!

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:43
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Qui Chau nothing you're doing is "secret". You disgust me coming onto a free site sneaking around trying to sell your mentor course. Get off of here!

Lol, I'm not trying to sell anything here. I've taken my time to answer the questions posted here, although it might not be everything you wanted. Certainly not going to give everything away I've learned over 2 decades of investing. Do you think the business coaches out there do that? Come on!

Before you chastise someone, you may be wise to think before you speak. Good luck to your sir.

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:47
Quote from @Andrew Olmstead:

Thanks, I did not catch in the original post that you are selling a mentor course.  Sorry for the question as I did not realize it was an ad for your course. 
Not an ad for mentorship. I'm sorry if it was construed that way. Just that I reserve some of my systems I've built for anyone that decides to take me on as a mentor and partner deals. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 12:00

@Qui Chau how many properties do you currently own? Just curious.

The Moorhead Team Logo