Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Cyrus Fryback
Votes |
Quick Question / Help Structuring an STR Deal

Cyrus Fryback
Posted Dec 29 2022, 13:31

My dad came to me and asked if I can help find him a property to AirBnB / create an STR out of in Nashville, TN. He has $400,000 - $500,000 cash he is willing to invest and wants me to find the property for him. Him and my mom want to visit say 3-4 times a year and then Airbnb the rest of the time. I am working with realtors in TN as we speak (*nothing has been signed).

I was talking with my wife and trying to figure out a way to fit myself into this deal. I have always wanted to invest in real estate and I love the idea of owning an STR property in Nashville, TN alongside my dad as partners!

The problem I am having is coming up with a way to structure a deal to work together!

I have $15,000 cash I am willing to invest, which obviously isnt a lot and Im having trouble trying to come up with a way to invest alongside my dad and get some sort of equity or % of the monthly income the STR would bring in.

Say I put in $15,000, my dad puts in the rest to equal 20% down on a $600,000 property = $120,000 total, $105,000 of my dads, say $15,000 of mine, that would equate too 2.5% ownership, and lets say I get 2.5% of the monthly income the property brings in, thats a paltry number. or 2.5% of equity in the property, that doesnt equate to much either. I would love to somehow put this money in and earn an additional $100-$200 a month while having equity in the property and my dad can take the rest of the profits after mortgage payments, expenses, etc.

I am happy to do this for my dad as a favor but id like to make it worth it for me to spend the time finding 5-10 properties (have to imagine a bunch wont work), maybe more!

If I cant come up with any ideas on structuring the deal, I will obviously do this as a favor, but im just trying to spitball someway to invest alongside him and help me in building assets

Any ideas on ways to structure a deal that would work for me & him?

Thanks guys! I hope I dont come across as trying to take advantage of my dad in this post, that is not my intention at all, I am happy to do this for him as a favor and spend the time finding properties, working with the agent, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan A.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Replied Dec 29 2022, 13:58
Your percentage of ownership doesn't have to match your percentage of cash invested. It sounds like you are going to do all or most of the work to find the deal. That is worth something. You could structure a partnership to give you a greater stake than 2.5% in return for that investment of your time and energy. It just is a matter of what you and your dad want to negotiate.

User Stats

Votes
Cyrus Fryback
Votes |
Replied Dec 30 2022, 07:43

Thanks for the response Nathan, really appreciate it!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mason Jeffries
  • Investor
  • Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Dec 30 2022, 08:32

@Cyrus Fryback

There is no right or wrong answer here. I have asked this exact question myself on these forums. Then I realized I was overthinking it. I didn't see any mention of who would manage the day to day activities of the STR. I think that would be a good opportunity for you to increase your cash flow. That might look something like this.

You: Find the team (realtors, lenders, cleaners, contractors) - Dad: Funds and finance the deal with 100% ownership. - You: Manage the properties for 10-15% of the revenue. - Dad: Buys multiple properties and places them in a Trust with YOU as the beneficiary. - You: Receive a healthy return on your time until the properties eventually become yours one day anyways. Save up the cash flow to buy your own deal.

Just a thought

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 2 2023, 13:37

@Cyrus Fryback

The most challenging part of this whole thing is going to be finding an NOO STR property in Nashville for under $600k.

Unless you're good with a 1 bedroom apartment. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo