New investor looking for analysis of my "portfolio"? Am I on the right track.

1 Reply

Hello Everyone, New to the site and looks like there is a lot of information here so I’m looking forward to going through it all. Im currently working on getting through all the podcasts from the last couple years.

I would like some opinions on my portfolio because I’m not sure if I’m getting returns I should be.  Im starting to look for my next property and to continue with the same strategy I have been working with but wondering if its time to move onto a new idea?

My "portfolio" is 2 Single family home converted too up/down duplex’s

one is valued at $420ooo (Build 2011) and the other is valued at $500ooo. (Built 2014) my total debt on this properties is $667ooo ($284ooo and $383ooo) which leaves me with roughly $250ooo in equity.

these properties are cash flowing about $750 a month each which is $18ooo per year. My principle pay down is about $18000 a year also. plus appreciation which is still strong in my area.

So $36ooo/$250ooo = %14.4 return on equity, plus appreciation.

The homes are both more or less brand new so i don’t anticipate any expensive problems for at least 10 years. great tenants because there slightly higher end properties. Good/Cheap mortgages as I only have to two properties.

My Question is, are this Decent/acceptable returns? I have a lot of equity and sometimes i feel like I could move onto a considerable larger investment. But the home are about as hassle free as could be and I would like as passive investing as possible as I already have a great/busy career. 

@Rod Flint  - Welcome to BP!

Your strategy / returns are a personal preference.  75% of my rentals are in a good area in a growing urban market, with appreciation potential (and gains already), and ok cash flow.  The other 25% of my properties are in a ok area with little growth, no appreciation potential, but great cash flow.  I could liquidate my 75% and put that into the area with the other 25% for double to triple the cash flow (and I could retire) but I would not in a million years!  

I feel my properties in the growing urban market will be a better long term investment - but at some point I would like to be 50/50 in the markets.  But I will do this by buying more in the cash flow area

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here