Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Rod Flint
  • Red Deer, Alberta
Votes |
New investor looking for analysis of my "portfolio"? Am I on the right track.

Rod Flint
  • Red Deer, Alberta
Posted Aug 13 2014, 20:28

Hello Everyone, New to the site and looks like there is a lot of information here so I’m looking forward to going through it all. Im currently working on getting through all the podcasts from the last couple years.

I would like some opinions on my portfolio because I’m not sure if I’m getting returns I should be.  Im starting to look for my next property and to continue with the same strategy I have been working with but wondering if its time to move onto a new idea?

My "portfolio" is 2 Single family home converted too up/down duplex’s

one is valued at $420ooo (Build 2011) and the other is valued at $500ooo. (Built 2014) my total debt on this properties is $667ooo ($284ooo and $383ooo) which leaves me with roughly $250ooo in equity.

these properties are cash flowing about $750 a month each which is $18ooo per year. My principle pay down is about $18000 a year also. plus appreciation which is still strong in my area.

So $36ooo/$250ooo = %14.4 return on equity, plus appreciation.

The homes are both more or less brand new so i don’t anticipate any expensive problems for at least 10 years. great tenants because there slightly higher end properties. Good/Cheap mortgages as I only have to two properties.

My Question is, are this Decent/acceptable returns? I have a lot of equity and sometimes i feel like I could move onto a considerable larger investment. But the home are about as hassle free as could be and I would like as passive investing as possible as I already have a great/busy career. 

Loading replies...