Electric Towers

5 Replies

I have been looking at a property that is only a few yards away from power lines.  I know some people stay away from them because they are an eye sore.  Has anyone not bought because of potential health risks?  The unit I am looking at is blocked by a building directly in front of the towers, but if you drive around they are right there.  I just want to hear your opinions and thoughts about them and if they have had trouble getting their unit rented out. 

it will knock the appraisal down about $5k but you won't have any trouble getting it rented out. there's pros and cons to everything in life; overcome to power lines with attractive items of the house and/or adjust the price accordingly.

It seems that the health concerns about power lines that were very big 20-25 years ago have faded somewhat.  While I don't personally own such a property, I would not consider it to be a MAJOR problem.  Your target audience will be somewhat smaller (some people will have health concerns just like a portion of the population is still scared of microwave ovens), but as @Scott W.   says, try to compensate with some other features.

Carolina NA 

I just purchased a quad-plex with power lines out back. Under the power lines is a walkway that brings you to a light rail station. Its a 2 minute walk oit of the back yard to the light rail, which is why I purchased the house. 

The unit is fully rented with educated tenants and even with my inexperience as an investor, I dont believe I'll have a problem keeping it rented. The whole half of the street backs up to these power lines and theres families and tenants all over. 

Thanks @Scott W.  for that advice, good idea.  @Andrew S.  thanks, I guess I am still those that are afraid of them, but really don't know if they do harm. @Mike Hodukavich  thanks for sharing your experience.  I will probably put in an offer and see what happens.  This property hasn't moved, but it is a short sale.

My brother has been living with a tower behind his house for 10 years now.  He is no weirder now than he was when he moved in.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.