Evaluate my land contract purchase

2 Replies

I'm negotiating a land contract for a 2br/1ba SFR recent rehab in a college town nearby. HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and some windows replaced ~3 months ago. Brand new flooring, paint, cabinets, etc. in interior. Appliances are 2-3 years old. Just appraised right at $87,000.

Here are the terms to this point:

Purchase price:  $87,000

Down payment:  $5,000 - deducted from purchase price.

Payment to seller: $750/month, includes PITI. $150/month deducted from remaining purchase price ($82,000 after down payment)

Contract is renewable every 12 months.

Renter moves in Feb 16th on a 1 year lease for $1,000/month and is responsible for all utilities.

Management is in place at 5% of monthly rent.

That basically leaves me with $200/month cash flow before accounting for capital expenditures, maintenance, etc. after $50 is taken out for management expenses.

My plan would be to either:

-go through with an outright purchase before the first year, or, 

-shoot for a cash-out refi after the first year term, after (maybe) putting down another $5,000.

In either instance, I would probably list it as a turn-key rental property for sale at $90,000-$100,000 and/or continue to rent it long term.

Your thoughts?  

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by @Jim B. :

Just appraised right at $87,000.

In either instance, I would probably list it as a turn-key rental property for sale at $90,000-$100,000 and/or continue to rent it long term.

Your thoughts?  

I'd examine if properties are appreciating before assuming you can sell it for $90K to $100K.  

@Crystal Smith  

Right, I agree.

But even at a purchase price of $100k, and if rented, an investor would be looking at $200+ in monthly cash flow with a fully rehabbed turn-key rental property.

Not saying that's exactly what's going to happen, but was putting it out there as an option in the future!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.