• Eddington, ME
Votes |
Newbie Wholesale Scenario

L'aura Bradford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Eddington, ME
Posted Jan 30 2015, 21:22

Hi all, I'd like to run a scenario by you all and get feedback.  A little background about me:  I started about 6 months ago to look into real estate investing and about a month ago took my first actions mailing to notice of default lists in my area.  I'm doing a ton of reading and want to see if I understand things.  First, I know that wholesaling is finding a deal (make your money up front), get it under contract, then sell/assign the contract to a buyer.

The scenario I'd like to walk through:  I've found a bank owned property that the bank hasn't had on the market.  If I'm going to wholesale with little/no money of my own...

1 - I'd make an offer to the bank

2 - if they agree, I now have it under contract, correct?  

3 - I now go find a buyer

4 - do a double close with the buyer first

5 - use the buyer's money to close on the house with the bank

I attended a real estate guru free seminar the other day and he said it's illegal to use your buyers funds and he need a private lender to give you a one day loan to complete the transaction.  This contradicts what I've heard elsewhere.

Also, I've heard you can't wholesale bank owned property, but on a recent BiggerPockets podcast a scenario similar to this is described - are there catches to it?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...