Investment/Development Analysis - Planner/Economic Development Questions/Answers

1 Reply

Greetings - I usually always end up speaking with the City and County on most all commercial investments and developments during my feasibility/analysis phase. I also usually spend a good chunk of time doing other analysis. I am curious if other real estate investors/developers on here have developed a "system" of how best to efficiently utilizing the City/County's different departments (Planner, Economic Development, Permits, Building,etc). I have a worksheet of questions I am always asking per each department as to not need to get them to call me back a second time (you never know how long some of these departments will take to respond). Every time I analyze a new scenario/opportunity I end up with new questions on my list. Does anyone have a list of their questions they usually run through they wouldn't mind sharing? I am sure it would benefit a lot of newer investors/developers. I realize the knowledge and information each of these departments has will vary from State/County/City. If anyone has any special insight (something that happens differently than the "average/normal" in regards to State/City/County, Research/Questions/Answers) in Washington State, Oregon or Idaho - knowing that would also be extremely helpful for my investment/development feasibility/analysis as those are locations of primary interest. Thank you much to every/any who share their knowledge/experience!

I suppose I have a sort of follow-up to that question to the previous: Where do consulting companies and commercial/developer appraisers find their knowledge to draft their Market/ Feasibility Studies, ie:  evaluating local economic conditions and forecasting future supply/demand equilibrium. I understand the portion of the reports analyzing probable profit margins and various measures of return on investments. There is a multi-family consulting company I've used in Seattle and it was one rock-solid awesome $6,000 report (as one would hope it would be). I think it would take me way more time than it's worth to learn to research all of that on my own with such limited time in the day; however, it would be nice to know where I could look for portions of that information on my own.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.