• Real Estate Agent
  • Owasso, OK
Votes |
Fire Damaged Quadplex - multiple owners

Chris Simmons
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Owasso, OK
Posted Apr 8 2016, 12:15

Imagine a qudplex on two streets such that 2 units face one street and two units face another street.  All units are identical and owned by 4 different owners....basically a townhouse in my part of the world.  There is a whole neighborhood of these units.  Anyway...there are two units facing one street that are happily rented and producing rent....I own one and another investor owns the other.  The two units that share our back wall and face the other street are fire damaged and have been vacant for a while.  

I am about to enter into a contract to buy the unit where the fire originated and will rehab that unit.....but that still leaves the fire damaged unit as vacant.  Ideally I get that unit as well.  Here's where I need help.

The unit I am about to get under contract is owned outright and there was no insurance on it. The unit that was damaged by the fire has since been foreclosed and is owned now by HUD....since 2014 with no attempt to do anything.

The fire spread from one unit to another so obviously there is damage to the shared wall that seperates the units as well as the roof of both units. It's hard to repair just one side. How can I apply leverage to HUD to sell the unit or chip in on repair etc? I am working with code enforcement to start citing the property and the owner...HUD.

Because of shared wall and roof etc.....even potentially electric depending on how lines are run etc....can I make repairs as needed to both sides....common wall framing, roofing etc that need to be done to keep my units water tight and structurally sound and then put mechanics lien on that unit? What about buying out the HOA liens on that unit and using that to foreclose from HUD?

Ideas on how to get that unit under control or at least sealed back up from the outside to keep weather and animals out....make necessary repairs for now on the unit I intend to buy to make it rentable etc.

This is by far the biggest and most complicated rehab job I have ever come into.

Loading replies...