• Cary, IL
Votes |
What to do with this deal?

Michael R.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cary, IL
Posted Jun 27 2016, 12:25

It's amazing how it becomes common knowledge to the people around you once you're truly passionate about something.  One of my coworkers is a painter on his spare time and people come to him consistently about custom pieces for which he gets paid a good bit of money.  The same has started to happen when someone in my office has a house they've inherited, or want to sell; they come to me for an analysis and I make them an offer.  

Anyhow, recently a coworker came to me with a deal that he hopes to sell which him and his sister have inherited from their mother.  It's a 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1 car built in 1960 with a 5 year old roof and HVAC.  Everything else would need to be updated.  We're in negotiations on price and meanwhile I'm trying to determine if this would be a good flip, or hold opportunity.  I've never done a flip, but have always wanted to dive right in and learn through taking action.

Here are the numbers as a rental assuming it won't need much work to just get it rented out:

Purchase price:  $80,000

Market Rent:  $1400

Expenses (PITI, CapEx, PM, Vac, Rep): $1066

Cash Flow:  $333

CoC Return: 25%

Possible BRRR as non-rehabbed comps are around $120,000

Flip:

Purchase price:  $80,000

ARV: $150,000

Repairs:  $24,000

Holding costs:  $2000

Cost to sell:  $9,000

Approx Net:  $37,000 before capital gains

Now I know the rental return looks great but here's the kicker: the mother had three different tax exemptions (1 owner occupant and 2 senior citizen exemptions) and once those fall off the taxes will go from $3550 to around $6200. This brings the cash flow down to $105 meaning a CoC return of slightly less than 8%. What would you guys do with a deal like this? Flip? Wholesale?

Loading replies...