• Real Estate Investor
  • PA
Votes |
Lease Option or Hold Rental?

J D
  • Real Estate Investor
  • PA
Posted Jun 4 2009, 03:43

Ok, this is my first post, but, I've been investing for around four years, have 8 single family homes and two three unit buildings, one with 13 rented garages. I'm currently at the point where I have to get commercial lending and I can get 15 years, (one company says 20 years, but haven't used them yet) and on this particular property, I'm getting 5.25% this year with reviews every year. I purchased the house with my HELOC and rehabbed it and now will refinance at those terms so that I recoup 100% of my invested money, thus I have no money into the property at this point. LTV will be less than 75%

My tenant wants to buy the property. I've run the numbers and in basic summary, if I lease option for two years, I will end up with roughly 34k in cash before taxes. Now, I can probably use that money on down payments for three additional houses. The houses we buy are in the 35 to 40k range but value around 55 to 60k after rehab.

If I hold and rent at current rent of 530, with modest appreciation of 3% per year ( i know this is not guaranteed ), in fifteen years I will have equity of roughly 85k with around 5000 per year of positive cash flow.

So, what would you do? Lease option and then use the money to buy three more houses to hold and rent....it is tough to get houses at a good IRR if I have to put in 25%. Or, hold and rent this one house?

Thanks.

Joel

Loading replies...