Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas TenBrink
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scandia, MN
Votes |
Sealing a Water Well - Costs, Experiences?

Nicholas TenBrink
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scandia, MN
Posted Dec 4 2016, 18:01

Hello!

I'm just about to pull the trigger and make an offer on a property here in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St.Paul) region of Minnesota, I'm just about done with my analysis of what will be needed to get the house up and on the market but I am a bit stumped at this one point, and that is it has a currently un-used water well in the basement (3" pipe with pump).

The house had be switched over to the city water grid years ago, the well it self is registered with the state, and registered as 'Not In use'. Per MN state law, if the well is not in use it needs to be sealed, this requirement will kick in during the property transfer. Further info: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/sealin...

With all that info being said/thrown at you; Have you ever dealt with having a well sealed? What costs did you incur? How much of a royal pain is this to deal with?

From what I'm seeing, and this may just be anecdotal, but if everything is fine with the well a sealing will cost around $1000 and the contractors doing the work will pull out all the related pumps etc associated with the well.

Thanks! I look forward to hear back from you all!

-Nick

Loading replies...