Votes
Adam M.
  • Lawrence, KS
Votes |
SFH Market Analysis Model

Adam M.
  • Lawrence, KS
Posted Jan 18 2017, 21:24

Wanted to share some screen shots of my SFH model I use for market analysis to give some people ideas as well as hear what other people think.

First section is the Current Listings where I enter data from Zillow.

I originally started out w/ only 5 listings but the more the merrier so I expanded to 7 listings. First row is my Include row which is simply a 1 or a 0 on whether to use it in the calculations on the right. Sometimes I will enter a property and realize it is not really that much of a comparable. As you can see I enter the basic stats for the properties and calculate various averages as well as % differences based on those averages. I obviously am a big user of conditional formatting as it makes it easier to quickly see what looks appealing. At the bottom I have an implied rent value based on a later section that compares advertised rental rates.

Next section is the Recently Sold section which is effectively the same as the current listings.

I've noticed in my area there isn't a lot of recently sold data. I can usually find enough though.

Finally is my Rental Advertisements section, which, again I am simply plugging in data from Zillow. This is also where I get the value for my implied rental rates from the first section. I use the average $/sqft.

Thats about it. Again wanted to share to give some people some ideas as well as hear back from people on their models. This is currently in google sheets and I have been meaning to move it to Excel and make it into a template. If you don't know how to make a spreadsheet into a template you should look it up. Helps avoid overwriting old models and having to open spreadsheets and saving as.