• Real Estate Broker
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
Biggest deal to date - 10 houses, 14 units

Michael Ablan
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Watertown, NY
Posted Aug 16 2017, 14:06

Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get some insight into a deal I just got under contract. The numbers are great, but I've never put together anything like this before. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Deal: 4 duplexs & 6 SFH

Purchase Price: $400k

Interest: 5%

Term: 10 year Balloon

Down Payment: $40,000

Monthly Payment (to owner): $3000

Gross Cash Flow: $11,000

Net Cash Flow: $4000

All of these properties are located within a small town. The owner inherited them and is sick of the job. She is at retirement age and wants to do just that, retire. These properties are all within 5-10 minutes walking distance, which should make it a breeze when doing monthly inspections and repairs. They're all late 1800's B- / B properties in (as good as it gets) town blocks. It's a mixture of working class people & HUD. She has done her part and maintained the properties by fixing them up as they've needed it. Only one needs some patch work done on the roof. The rest don't need anything.

She owns them all free and clear except for 2. We've negotiated an owner financing deal where we cash her out after 10 years. We will be giving her $40k down, and will be making monthly payments of $3k per month to her. She wants us to assume the 2 mortgages (which we intend on doing if the bank will allow it). The payments from those mortgages will be deducted from the $3k we are paying to her.

Now for the kicker. There isn't enough sales activity to generate accurate comps to value these properties. I would have to to branch off into the closest city which is 15 miles away, making the comps worthless. The only comps on the market are houses way nicer or houses that are full gut foreclosures. There's doesn't seem to be a middle ground. If we value the properties based on the tax assessment then this portfolio is valued just shy of $700k. I'm not going to take that as the true value, but I'd say its pretty close. Averaged out, we are getting each property for $44k, which is the cost of the full gut fixer uppers in the area.

What worries me IS the near complete stagnation of the real estate market in this town. It's slightly confusing because it's in a highly sought after school district, and it has a lot of business in the area. I guess people just aren't moving?

My plan is to come in and adjust rents to market. Many of the houses are below market AND she is paying some of the utilities. I will be adjusting all HUD's to the max they're willing to pay and finding an affordable middle ground with the working class tenants. I don't want to run anyone out, but I'm not going shoulder costs that I don't need to be incurring. Eventually I would like to have the entire portfolio assessed, and do a full cash out so I can pay her off early, and use the remaining funds to leverage into a large 30+ deal. I currently own 7 houses with 13 total units. My goal is to own 100 units by the end of 2019.

My question is, should I have negotiated this differently? Should I be worried about the extreme lack of comps? I'm pretty excited about it, but also a little nervous because of the market activity. However, I know the rental market is good, and these are in fact rentals. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Thoughts?

Loading replies...