Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Jason Brown
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Getting a bank loan and owner financing at same time?

Jason Brown
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Oct 7 2017, 20:46

Hi BP,

First time investor potentially closing in on his first deal. I am currently in negotiation with a seller to buy two duplexes here in South Florida.

To give you some background information the seller is an elderly retiree and is looking to sell these two properties that he personally had built back in 2004. 

I believe the properties are worth 300K each for a total of 600K and we have agreed on a purchase price of 560K so not a huge score for me there price wise. What I did get him to compromise on was the financing. In agreeing to his price he has agreed to potentially owner finance the house to me.

I have investigated how I should go about the financing and it is here that I am not quite sure. He currently owes 340K total on the two properties which gives him 43% equity assuming the duplexes appraise for 600K. I want to get a mortgage for the balance he owes on the two properties which would be the 340K and then owner finance the remaining 220K that he would be due to receive which would be the portion of the sale proceeds exceeding the mortgage payoff.

The advantage to him is that he gets the price he wants and the advantage to me is that I get into the properties with little to no money down seeing as how I won't be needing any down payment to get a bank loan when the LTV is 56% and then I can structure a very low interest rate with him personally for the remaining balance to pay off over 3-5 years with perhaps a ballon payment at the end of the term.

Does anyone have an experience with getting a mortgage for a property and then also paying a note to the owner as well? Can this be done? Please feel free to critique or poke holes in my ideas as I am still learning and would greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks

Jason