SouthEast Florida - Rental Property Calculator numbers

2 Replies

So my agent has been sending me tons of properties to calculate. For the most part the listings have a lot of the expenses already listed, and I don't have to estimate and I have been using specific percentages. Here is typically how I fill out the Rental Calculator.

1) Purchase Price, obviously. 

2) ARV I keep at the purchase price

3) Real current taxes on the property

4) purchase closing costs (if cash purchase I use 1% of purchase price. if non-recourse loan I use 2.5% because the points are 1% on it too. And I add $700 in the mortgage area for bank fees as that is what I have been quoted by the banks that do non-recourse loans. I expect to do 5/1 or 10/1 amortized over 25 years, so those rates are typical around 5.5% right now. 

5) If I have expense amounts I put them in as best as I can.

6) This is where I start to have questions. For the Variable Landlord expenses. I put in either 3 or 5% for vacancy depending on area. 

7) For repairs and maintenance I typically put 3% and then also 3% for Cap Expenditures. (Does that sound correct, too high? too low? As I believe here is typically where I might put it too high)

8) For Management I put 8% or 10% which is what my broker/manager will charge me.

9) For future assumptions I put 1%, 2%, 2% for the first three columns, then for resale I put 8%

So that is basically how I have been using the calculator, and I haven't found a property yet that I really really liked the results. But I am wondering if I am being way too conservative and therefore missing out on some good deals.

I also have been seeing that the Cash On Cash percentage seems to be going down when I leverage with a mortgage, rather than the other way around, which I sort of was expecting to happen.

Thanks

Oh, and I am really glad I went and got the PRO account so I can really play with these calculators, it is too much fun. And I love the ease of it and the reports are very pretty. My agent has a spreadsheet that has all that, but it is so spreadsheet like. ;)

Mark

This post has been removed.

I believe your reserves are too low. I generally put 8.3% vacancy to cover one month per year of vacancy. I also reserve a minimum of 5% maint and capex, depending on the age of the property and mechanicals, as well as the condition of the property overall.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here