Am I missing something or is this as good as I think?

16 Replies

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so when I ran the numbers with the BRRRR calculator I thought, I have to be crazy. Can someone help me, am I missing something here or should I go for this immediately? (note, my "repair est" I'm not concerned with it be slightly off I've budgeted for 10k surprise, and the "ARV" is based on my own comps, not my realtors yet)

Purchase: 54k

Closing: 2.5k

Repairs: 12k

Proj Cost: 68.5k

ARV: 90k

2 months to rehab, 6 to refi

Purchased w/ traditional 30yr

Down Payment: $10,800.00

Loan Amount: $43,200.00

Loan Points/Fees: $0.00

Amortized Over: 30 years

Loan Interest Rate: 6.13%

Monthly P&I: $262.49

Total Cash Needed At Purchase: $25,300.00

Refinance: W/ Traditional 30yr

Loan Amount: $67,500.00

Loan Fees: $1,000.00

Amortized Over: 30 years

Loan Interest Rate: 6.13%

Monthly P&I: $410.14

Total Cash Invested: $1,744.84

Expenses:

Vacancy $91.00 (7%)

Repairs $65.00 (5%)

CapEx $65.00 (5%)

Water & Sewer $30.00 (2%)

Garbage $14.00 (1%)

Insurance $215.00 (17%)

Management $130.00 (10%)

P&I $410.14 (32%)

Property Taxes $58.33 (4%)

Total $1,078.47 (83%)

Monthly Income:                    Monthly Expenses:               Monthly Cash Flow:                    Pro Forma Cap Rate:

$1,300.00                                     $931 / $1,078                          $369 / $222                                       8.42%

NOI Total Cash Needed Cash on Cash ROI Purchase Cap Rate

$7,580.00                                      $25,300.00                            17.5% / 152.4%                                   14.04%

So am I missing something here? On a side note if someone wants to partner with me, since this is my 1st potential deal I'd gladly welcome a knowledgeable partner.

Looks like a solid deal to me!

You will probably have a tough time getting fixed interest rate financing for a house you only bought 6 months ago that has existing mortgage. But everything else looks good.

@Donald S. my previous closing was closer to 5K with a years insurance and first months mortgage upfront, and a billion fees for title and the loan.  Make sure to overbudget for closing.

@Donald S. , Q. #1: Who's lending out amounts less than $50k? Q. #2: Are you sure about being able to get $1,300/m for a home there that's only worth $90k? Q. #3: Are you sure of being able to get an investment loan payable over 30 years? Just askin'...

Originally posted by @Brent Coombs :

@Donald S. , Q. #1: Who's lending out amounts less than $50k? Q. #2: Are you sure about being able to get $1,300/m for a home there that's only worth $90k? Q. #3: Are you sure of being able to get an investment loan payable over 30 years? Just askin'...

Tons of small/local banks will loan out less than $50k on mortgages.

No idea as to the potential rent as I have no idea about where the house is located or its market....BUT. I have a house I bought for $30k and rented it for $800/month in 3 days time and could have rented it for $900/month if I wanted to be picky and patient about it so I thinks its very believable to get $1,300/month out of a house that is only $90k.

@Brian Coombs 1300 is doable, it's a 2 family,  2 bed 1 bath each and market rent is ~700 for that, so I went conservative with 650. For the purchasing loan I'm looking at private or hard, but I do have a bank willing to do under 50k. As for the 30yr note that's what I was quoted on yesterday. 

@Kyle I wasn't sure what the closing cost would be, but even if they were 5k each I'd still be able to cover it. It would just increase my total investment, but I think the 152% ROI can stand a slight hit lol.

Thanks for the review guys, I'll keep it posted if I can get this deal done 

Don - I am also an investor in STL. What area is this property in? If you are in South City, your sewer and trash astigmatism may be low. And depending on age of systems, plumbing, etc - I would look more toward 10% for repairs. 

Originally posted by @Matt Conrad :

Don - I am also an investor in STL. What area is this property in? If you are in South City, your sewer and trash astigmatism may be low. And depending on age of systems, plumbing, etc - I would look more toward 10% for repairs. 

It is in south city, what would you suggest for the amounts? 

Typically figure about 55 per unit for sewer and water. And about 14 per unit for trash. I always do 8-10% for repairs. And if this is a 2 family for 50 grand, that would make me nervous about the area. Make sure it doesnt need more work than you think.

Solid numbers, if i were you id get with my realtor and try to pin that ARV down. If your good there i would go for it assuming your rehab budget is on point. Good luck!

Typically figure about 55 per unit for sewer and water. And about 14 per unit for trash. I always do 8-10% for repairs. And if this is a 2 family for 50 grand, that would make me nervous about the area. Make sure it doesnt need more work than you think. Is this an MLS property?

Originally posted by @Matt P. :
Solid numbers, if i were you id get with my realtor and try to pin that ARV down. If your good there i would go for it assuming your rehab budget is on point. Good luck!

Can you trust the realtor for the ARV calc?

Hey James, thats a good question. I guess it depends on the realtor lol. Maybe ive been lucky with that or just not done as many deals as some people on here but mine has been pretty close every time to what it actually appraised for.
Originally posted by @Matt P. :
Hey James, thats a good question. I guess it depends on the realtor lol. Maybe ive been lucky with that or just not done as many deals as some people on here but mine has been pretty close every time to what it actually appraised for.

I’m relying a lot on my realtor as I’m wet behind the ears. His numbers are always higher than mine as he seems to base things off other listings and not off recently sold or even in the same neighborhood. But this has resulted in my passing on several deals which may have been good if he were correct.

Howdy @Donald S.

Found your post.  Here's my take.  Overall deal looks good.  Just need to find tune some things.

Both Acquisition and Refinance loans appear to be from same Lender. Is that the case? Have you got that ok'd? Is this a cash out Refi? It looks like it even though you do not state that. If it is this would be considered a BRRRR strategy.

You need to account for ALL costs associated with this type deal. Purchase Price, Rehab costs, Holding costs, and Closing costs (2 closings). I call these my All-in Cost Basis. These are the costs I want covered with the Cash-Out refinance loan. You are using a 75% LTV ($67,500). Ideally you want the All-in Cost Basis to be equal to or less than this amount so you get 100% of your cash back. You left some of these costs out of your analysis.

Holding costs are expenses you incur during the Rehab period and until you have the property fully rented.  This will include (but not limited to) mortgage payments, utilities bills, and insurance.  You estimate 2 months for Rehab.  I would use 3 months as a minimum to be safe.  That equals $1,564.77 (P&I $787.47, Utilities $132, Insurance $430) based on your numbers.  This does not include electricity.

Closing Costs seem low as @Kyle Eckert mentioned.  I agree with $5,000 for the acquisition closing.  Are you sure $1,000 fee for the Refinance closing is all that is required?

Your deal looks like this to me.

Purchase Price $54,000

Rehab Estimate $12,000

Holding Costs $1,500 plus

Closing Costs $6,000 plus

Total Aii-in Cost Basis = $73,500

$73,500 - $67,500 (Refi loan) = $6,000 equity overage + $22,500 (25% equity) = $31,500 total equity remaining in property.

For the cash flow analysis I would increase the CapEx to $130 until you can have the property inspected to determine the actual condition and life expectancy of all major components and appliances. From there you can develop a more accurate CapEx reserves requirement. Is there any common area electric usage that you may be responsible for? Do not forget other miscellaneous expenses that add up. Lawn care/snow removal, legal, accounting, advertising, pest management, etc.

As I said it still looks like a good deal.  You just need fine tuning. 

@john (can't seem to tag people from my phone), thanks for the analysis. Yes it is a BRRRR, I thought I mentioned that, maybe not. Both endsof the deal are from the same lender, he said they'd prefer to do both actually. As for the refi closing I'm going off of what an old neighbor of mine said he charged when he did refi's but I'll ask my realtor what is a better estimate.

There is no common area electricity once the tenants are there they'll be able to cover their own bill individually. I'll rerun some numbers tonight and see if I still come up with good totals. 

Thanks again!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here