• Toledo, OH
Votes |
First Reno/Rental Is Up & Running

Daniel Kramer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Aug 21 2019, 10:21

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Toledo.

Purchase price: $51,000
Cash invested: $19,750

We did the renovation ourselves. After 10 days of marketing, we had over 50 contacts, 6 visits, and an accepted application. Tenants moved in August 10, 2019.
Purchase Price: $51,000
Down Payment: $10,200 (20%)
Renovation: $7,000
Rent: $895
P&I (15-yr): $317
Taxes & Insurance: $111
HOA: $171
Vacancy, Repairs, & CapEx: $200
Net CF: $96

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

We had been looking at SFR and multi-units for our first deal, but a family member announced they wanted to sell their condo. We took the opportunity to use this as our 1st "education" deal.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

We agreed with our family member that their predicted sales price, minus any renovations, cleaning, and realtor costs was a fair deal for both of us. They got to forego the headache of selling and we got a little discount.

How did you finance this deal?

We had to go through a small bank with a 15-year portfolio loan due to some condo zoning issues.

How did you add value to the deal?

We didn't change the layout, but almost every square inch of this place was new or painted. We tore out all of the old carpet and replaced with waterproof vinyl plank flooring. We tore out everything in the bathroom and replaced with a new tub, tile surround, vanity and fixtures. We painted the kitchen cabinets and added a new counter top and fixtures. In everything, we kept a modern theme, matched throughout the place and trusted that the pictures would attract great tenants.

What was the outcome?

We were able to increase the rent 38% from $650 to $895.
We should be able to make a small positive cashflow on a 15-year loan.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Condos have pros and cons. While many highlight the cons of HOA fees and potential single assessment charges, here are the pros that we encountered:
-Everything was easy to replace, standard size appliances and cabinets.
-We don't have to mow the grass or do much of any upkeep.
-Insurance is cheap since the HOA fee covers a lot of the structure insurance.
-Many renters are already expecting an apartment style setup.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I would recommend the bank we used if you NEED a porfolio loan, but otherwise we like our other banks much better.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Kao
Pro Member
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 21 2019, 11:20

@Daniel Kramer Congratulations and thanks for sharing! How long did it take you to do the renovation? What kind of experience did you have with renovation prior to this condo? Did you encounter any problems?

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Kramer
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Aug 21 2019, 11:39

@Jeff Kao It took us almost exactly 6 months. My wife and I both work full time jobs and we were working in it evenings and weekends. Our experience prior to this was completely renovating our bathroom at home with a lot of guidance from both of our dads. I'm an engineer, so I am naturally cautious, calculated and handy, but YouTube goes a long way.

We didn't encounter many problems with the renovation itself. The condo was very modular and cookie-cutter, so it was easy to simply replace things. Our biggest mistake was after we wrote up the purchase agreement and completed an inspection, the family member seller handed over the keys and said "get to work!" Do we did. Big mistake, still needed an appraisal. Appraisers don't like when there isn't a finished flooring. We got through it but lesson learned.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Kao
Pro Member
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 21 2019, 11:53

@Daniel Kramer Thanks for the reply! Having the appraisal done before starting the renovation is a valuable tip. I'm sure it was a valuable learning experience. 

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2019, 17:15

Awesome job, so happy for you both. Still looking into my first one, not much luck yet. Thought I had one but good thing for research 😁 Better to be safe than sorry. Best of luck to you both